Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:28 am 
I have been a regular viewer and contributor to this forum (see 2nd March Thread) and had hoped that I would not be on this one!!

A question for Ettiene. We live in Bromley and my daughter has been awarded the local comp - her 6th Choice. Background info.....

Her first choice was the Bromley super selective. The cut this year was 220+ and my daughter achieved 219 (which whilst an excellent score was about 5% down on her previous performance in practice tests). I did ask for a review at the time and got one (no change to score).

Her 2nd and 3rd choices were Bexley super selectives. As an out of borough child she had to be placed in the top 180. The cut this year was 490 - my daughter achieved 487. The pass in Bexley to be considered grammar is 430.

Her 4th choice was a local comp which is very popular and although we live about 1.7 miles from it typically they have not come beyond 1.1 miles in the past few years.

Her 5th choice was a North Kent girls grammar school. There is a coach which picks up from the end of my road but the journey is an hour each way. By time the tests came in January my daughter decided she did not want to go there or take the test. Indulgent mother agreed. Father is now cursing me for that decision as the majority of 'grammar' children in her school have been offered that school.

6th choice - don't even want to think about it. Husband is calling estate agent today and no doubt I'll be brewing coffee!

Oh yes - my question. Would it be worth appealing to choice 1 and choice 4? I am on waiting lists for both. I have worked out that it would not be worth it for 2 & 3 - unless you think so?

Got phonecall from the head teacher on Friday. She is shocked and quote "will write to anyone and do everything to support her getting a grammar school she is one of the brightest girls in her year". She achieved 2 level 5's and a 4a in the SATs practice in year 5 (was predicted all fives) and is predicted all high 5's this year.

I spent yesterday reading appeal threads and Q & A's and have started gathering my evidence.

Any help and advice will be gratefully received.

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:30 am 

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 13993
First - don't beat yourself up about number 5 - it wasn't what your daughter wanted.

I would appeal for number 1 - it's local and you missed by one point - focus on academic evidence - Etienne's section is brilliant and there is a sample to follow.

Of course, if you have the energy, appeal for as many schools as you feel able - different panels will come up with different decisions with the same evidence.

For number 4 it's a different type of appeal - the differences in curriculum between the schools are what you need to focus on.

Good luck and keep posting.

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:18 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7493
Welcome to this forum, Tired Mum. No partying here, alas - it's more like "the morning after the night before"! :(

Not much to add to Guest55's helpful comments. You're already going through the Q&As, and you have the headteacher's full support.

If the head means what she says, she can help by making your daughter stand out from the crowd (academically speaking). Can she predict high level 5s, rather than just 5s? Will she use words like "I very strongly support ........ considerable academic potential ...........an exceptional case"?

Go for as many appeals as the system and your stamina permit!

Good luck


 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:45 pm 
Oh just another thing, If the school administer their own appeals I would think the Head teachers letter is the paramount thing, will you be able to go over it with them first. As per Etienne


 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:49 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8598
Dear Tired Mum

Haven't got any specific advice re appeals. Really felt for you with that list .. you would think that with 6 on the CAF SOMETHING would have worked out. I just hope it all sorts out for you...

What are the plans re Estate Agents???? moving?? (where to??) releasing some money?????

Keep brewing the coffee - oh and the bread making!!

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:55 pm 

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:06 pm
Posts: 438
Hi Tired Mum.

You have my absolute total admiration for your resolve, your daughter is very, very lucky to have you and your husband behind her.

Got phonecall from the head teacher on Friday

How often does this happen I wonder, tend to read of parents on this site chasing headteacher's for appointments.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience of appeals to offer, but I would suggest that you post on site that is local to the school you want, and check out the position regarding waiting lists. I know that our Herts Consortium operate them, and children can move up/down these lists depending upon their success at appeal.

Keep in touch


 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:58 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8762
Location: Buckinghamshire
Dear Tired Mum

I wish I knew more about the system in Kent to be able to offer you specific advice. However, I can only support what other people have said - forget number 5, and appeal for as many of the rest as you have the stomach for.

Good luck - keep coming back to us.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018