LGO feedback

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slough mum

LGO feedback

Post by slough mum »

I wanted to get some feedback on LGO, and has anyone been successful in logging a complaint and being successful in obtaining a second appeal for a grammar school hearing?

Thanks
Etienne

Re: LGO feedback

Post by Etienne »

Here's a couple I can think of. I'm sure there have been more.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18#p117918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 48#p208048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Equally, there have been unsuccessful complaints.
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Hi Etienne,

I have sent you an email to the Appeals box stating what the decision letter stated.

Would it be best to complain to the Appeal Panel or take this up with LGO?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As far as I can tell, the decision letter seems to be in order.

I'm not sure of the basis for your complaint, but - where a foundation school is concerned - my feeling is that it's probably better to go to the ombudsman for an independent judgement.
Etienne
traffmum

Post by traffmum »

I've sen you a pm, as our situation was with a foundation school too.
slough mum

Re: Failed appeal - maladministation concerns

Post by slough mum »

Hi Etienne,

I have been in a situation when I attended an appeal hearing and was told that we had been double booked.

They apologised but saw the couple who had arrived a few minutes before us, and informed us that even though we were also booked at the same time we would be seen afterwards.

Would this be a maladministration concern I should raise?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not in itself - but if the ombudsman could be satisfied that you were disadvantaged (e.g. you were so upset that it was difficult for you to present your case properly), then he might decide that there was maladministration.
Etienne
lukeskywalker

Post by lukeskywalker »

I have just referred my case to the LGO. The decision letter I received refers to evidence I know was supplied by the admission authority and is listed in the letter as having been considered by the panel. I was unaware that this evidence was even being considered and I did not receive a copy of it beforehand. I feel I should have been made aware that it existed and then given the opportunity to comment on it.

The letter also says that I had insufficient evidence to overturn the school's assessment. The school's case sent to me by the clerk simply said he didn't pass the exam. I submitted plenty of evidence of grammar school ability but now get the impression that the panel have used something that the school has submitted against DS that I have not seen.
otllen

Post by otllen »

lukeskywalker wrote:I have just referred my case to the LGO. The decision letter I received refers to evidence I know was supplied by the admission authority and is listed in the letter as having been considered by the panel. I was unaware that this evidence was even being considered and I did not receive a copy of it beforehand. I feel I should have been made aware that it existed and then given the opportunity to comment on it.

The letter also says that I had insufficient evidence to overturn the school's assessment. The school's case sent to me by the clerk simply said he didn't pass the exam. I submitted plenty of evidence of grammar school ability but now get the impression that the panel have used something that the school has submitted against DS that I have not seen.
Hi Lukeskywalker :-)
I can't provide any advice as such but would be really interested in which way you decide to go as we are in an almost identical position. Same as you - our evidence not refered to, so I'm assuming ignored. Evidence was refered to in the letter that we didnt recieve and I've today been told by the panel that we didnt meet the pass criteria - this is not published sothey couldnt give me a copy.

PM me and tell me what school you were appealing for. It would be interesting if we had the same panel and felt the same way!!!
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I have just realised that in the decision let the reason it was unsuccessful was that the school already had reached their PAN and if they went beyond it would be an health and safety issue.

I have just rang the school concerned and they confirmed they there were successful case at the appeal. Which means that they have now gone above the PAN. But my decision letter states they could not take any more on.

Where do I stand?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now