The schools madness :( ..... help!!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hetal27

The schools madness :( ..... help!!!

Post by hetal27 »

My son age 4 ( in September he is going to be in reception) and he has not been successful in any of his appeals does anyone have any advice of what to do now ? because i am not happy with school my son has been offered . Due to its low OFSTED rating ....
I am not planning to send him to that school.
thanks ,
hetal :? :( :( :?
push-pull-mum

Re: The schools madness :( ..... help!!!

Post by push-pull-mum »

I wouldn't turn a school down just on the basis of a poor Ofsted . Schools can be Ofsted's darlings one year and Ofsted's demons the next. My DCren's school is an 'ok' school in my opinion but in the time I've lived in the area it has been on 'notice to improve', 'most improved school in the county', 'Good', and now back to 'Satisfactory.' Only a highly trained eye, I suspect, could tell much difference year by year.

I would strongly recommend 'phoning the school tomorrow and asking (very politely, since it's very near the end of term and everyone is very busy) if you can come in and look round. You may be pleasantly suprised and almost certainly you will realise that it isn't the dreadful sink you feared it was. Then grit your teeth, buy the uniform jumper, and send your child off to school in September with a big grin on your face.

By all means keep looking for a preferable school; there's often a lot of movement on waiting lists during the summer holidays, and families will continue to move on throughout the year and spaces may become available elsewhere.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Horrible situation for you. I think legally he doesnt need to start school til the term following his 5th birthday so it may be you can go on waiting lists of the schools you want (you should be able to if you appealled to those schools) and hope through natural wastage a place comes up. families move all the time so it very possible a place will come up in 6 months or so.
Is your DS at a preschool? They will still be able to claim funding (15 hours) until your child is 5 so you should be able to continue with a 'preschool' education whilst you are waiting.
Is there a larger sibling intake in your area this year do you think?
jingle

Post by jingle »

I appealed for a certain primary, got turned down and had bought uniform etc for offered (not really wanted) school as I had no alternative. Five days before the start of the first September term, we got a letter plus phone call offering a place from the waiting list. I did keep ringing the preferred school on and off to express continued interest just in case.
Luckily I had kept my uniform receipts and just swapped for new school stuff.
Just trying to offer a ray of hope that this can sometimes happen!
Hope it all works out.