LEA not in favour of grammars.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bo Peep

LEA not in favour of grammars.

Post by Bo Peep »

I have a question. My local LEA is not in favour of selective education but has not managed to close down the grammar school. They are also desperate to fill spaces at a school, just removed from special measures, which has been allocated to my son (which I have refused).

My son has strong academic evidence to his ability but how do you answer if they suggest that the struggling comp could well do with someone like him to boost results! Or that bright kids do well wherever they go. I don't know why I am asking this question really but this is what the appeal panel said to me in my day-dream and I snapped out of it pretty fast!
Etienne

Re: LEA not in favour of grammars.

Post by Etienne »

Hello, Bo Peep

The panel is independent of the LEA, so if it started in any way to reflect the views of the authority, that could raise some serious questions about impartiality ........
Bo Peep wrote: My son has strong academic evidence to his ability but how do you answer if they suggest that the struggling comp could well do with someone like him to boost results! Or that bright kids do well wherever they go.
You are appealing for the school you want, you are not appealing against any school.

It would not be unreasonable for the panel to ask in general terms what your alternatives are, but in my view it would be improper for them to ask you loaded questions such as the above.

Hope this provides some reassurance!
Etienne
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Thank you Etienne,

I shall tell my day-dream panel this!

Yes it is VERY reassuring - thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Glad to have been of help :D

Incidentally, it's just possible (but very unlikely) that the representative of the admission authority could put this sort of question, in which case the answer should be a polite but firm "With respect we are here to appeal for school X, not to appeal against any other school."

Regards
Etienne
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

That makes sense, Etienne. Thanks.