Appeal Advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kentmum2011

Appeal Advice

Post by kentmum2011 »

Hi,

I've joined this site as I'm looking for some advice about appealing non qualification and reading through the posts here it looks like you guys really know your stuff!

Bit of background, my daughter has always struggled with reading and spelling, however seemed quite bright in other areas, but because of this we never considered grammar until she said she wanted to do the 11+. Her year 5 CAT scores were 110 VR, 115 Maths and 133 NVR, obviously the reading/writing issues holding her back for verbal reasoning. She didn't have a tutor, I did a bit of work with her on maths and we done some of the bond ten minute tests and one full practice paper. When she went back to school after the summer she was moved into top maths group.

Her 11+ scores were 114 VR, 123 Maths and 129 NVR, total of 366, so just falling short in VR by 5 points. We weren't going to appeal until the school advised as she has shown such improvement recently if she works hard and keep sthis up and her literacy reaches the standard it needs to be they would fully support an appeal as they feel she's 'the right type' of student for a grammar. Her main group of friends have all passed.

Any advice with regards appealing with a low VR score would be gratefully received. This is obviously her area of weakness and whilst I'm sure she'll thrive at grammar in other areas I'm a bit worried she won't get the help needed in literacy.

Thanks for reading!
yoyo123

Re: Appeal Advice

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to the forum.

This is a good place to start , lots of information

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

Thanks, I've had a good read through all the appeals information, I think we can probably pull together a strong case if she can show even more improvement in her literacy over the next few months. Plan of action so far is to put two grammar schools and two high schools on the CAF as we want to keep our options open at this stage.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

If your HT is on side and can provide you with lots of evidence of improvement....your appeal won`t be until May 2012 at the earliest...then go for it.

My DD1 failed on one paper, having scored well in 2. The HT was great, her form tutor also provided her with lots of extra work to do at home too. By the time we had her appeal in the July her ability was a level 6 in maths. Then we just had to produce evidence as to why it was so low in the first place.

She`s now thriving at Grammar school and excelling in maths!!

We put 2 grammars and 2 HS on our CAF and got none of them..... :shock:
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

A belated thank you U400JB9!

We had put thoughts of appeal to one side once we'd completed the CAF, leaving DD to progress naturally. Obviously the verbal reasoning/literacy is her weak point and we were waiting to see if she kept up with the significant progress she had been making and recent tests put her at a 4b from a previous 3b. Now I know this isn't an ideal 5a but wondering if progressing a whole level in under 6 months will be enough to show recent rapid progression?

On a positive note the GS we'll be appealing to has recommended girls who narrowly missed a pass should appeal as numbers passing this year seemed lower and they've also increased their PAN.
mystery

Post by mystery »

You maybe need to ask the head as she was the one who said she'd support the appeal if she made rapid progress. Your daughter is now a 4b with two terms to go. School maybe needs to estimate just how much more they think she will improve in the remaining two terms of primary school - will she get a level 5 in their view? If so you have a better case.

What did the trick with the literacy? You need to do more of it!!
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

Thanks mystery. It's a large school and I think the head of year deals with this sort of thing, she was the one who rang originally, so I'm going to arrange an appointment with her for after half term and see what their opinion is.

As for the trick with the literacy, I have no idea!! From nursery age we were told she was ahead development wise etc but she seemed to hit a brick wall when it came to learning to read and spent a good few years trying to climb that wall (to the point I seriously considered testing for dyslexia), but we were always told she was working at an average level for all areas so no need to worry. It's just the last two years she seems to have finally gotten over the wall, first with her maths and now with the literacy. It's a delight to see, she's currently reading and fully understanding Warhorse when 18 months ago she would still mix up from/for etc, and I'm sure she'll continue and thrive whatever school she goes to.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now