Is it appropriate to talk to the school you're appealing to?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Is it appropriate to talk to the school you're appealing to?

Post by katel »

We have decided to go down the appeal route. I assumed that it would beninappropriate to talk to the Head of year 7 at the grammar school, but last nightbsomeone told me that this is a useful thing to do, as you can gain insights about what they are looking for and whether it's worth trying. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry about then multiple threads, by the way!
Fran17

Re: Is it appropriate to talk to the school you're appealing

Post by Fran17 »

Sorry Katel, I have no advice to offer but just wanted to wish you the very best of luck with your appeal! :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, there's nothing to stop you talking to the grammar school. The only thing forbidden - for fairly obvious reasons - is that the school being appealed for cannot provide support for any appellant at a hearing:
Panels must not allow representatives of schools to support individual appeals for places at their school at the hearing itself or by providing letters of support for appellants, because of possible conflicts of interest and the possibility of unfairness to other appellants.
It's up to the school, of course, whether they wish to talk to parents about a prospective appeal!

The only other point I would make is that appeals are more often than not dealt with by just one person at a very senior level within the school (e.g. the headteacher or one of the deputy/assistant heads). It's possible that the head of year may not know much about the subject.
Etienne
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you!
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Hi Katel,

Go for it, what harm can come of it?

The LEA can be very helpfull allthough they will be at the appeal submitting the case for not allowing your DS a place. The Appeals clerk can also be very helpfull and cetainly during my experience was very clear on what evidence i should be looking at submitting.

Good luck!

Q
X
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you. Could i talk to the LEA now, do you think, or should I wait til after allocation day?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm not 100% sure what you would get out of talking to the LEA ? They are the case for the the prosecution if you will, and won't give anything away that can help you. I would also steer clear of the clerk, but then we had a very bad experience with ours. Best to concentrate on alternative academic evidence and submit a clear and concise explanation of why your child failed to perform, in my view.
Good luck :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suppose it's like talking to any individuals off the record - you will find some who will say a lot, and others who will say no more than they feel they have to!

An own-admission authority school or the LA (or more likely its appeals section), and the appeals clerk, need do no more than give factual information and explain the procedure - but you can find out all about procedure by reading the Appeals code and our own Q&As.

If it's an own-admission authority school, the school's presenting officer (probably the headteacher or one of the deputy/assistant heads) and the appeals clerk may each have formed a personal opinion about what the appeal panel is looking for.
However, if it's a LA appeal panel, the membership of the panel could be subject to more frequent changes, so there might be a greater degree of uncertainty.
Etienne
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Katel,

I have just seen this thread and can only say that it has always been the HT or deputy HT that has dealt with enquiries about appeals and it has always been through their PA... I have always got friendly ,speedy responses to any questions. Heads of year know very little about the appeals process.

Hope this helps
Tigger
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now