Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: 11 + appeal bucks help

Post by Guest55 »

Sturman

In case this helps:

L5+ English 40.1% (Bucks average) 29% (national average)
L5+ Maths 43.9% (Bucks average) 35% (national average)
sturman

Post by sturman »

Thanks Guest 55

Do you by any chance know the breakdown of those grades...ie 5a,5b,5c and what the averages for those are?

Sturman
sturman

Post by sturman »

Hi Etienne and S-A

Just received my DD remarked paper and as expected it was right.The only interesting possibility[very slight] is she seemed to get 38/40 for first half in paper 1 and in paper 2[42/44] and then lost marks in the second half.whether its coincidence or focusing probs for so long i don't know.

Anyway for what its worth DD got 118/120 and raw scores were 69/70 and was feb born.uggggggggggggh just 1 mark

Hope this info helps someone

Sturman

BTW does anyone have raw marks from previous years? I've seen them somewhere.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

sturman wrote:Just received my DD remarked paper and as expected it was right.The only interesting possibility[very slight] is she seemed to get 38/40 for first half in paper 1 and in paper 2[42/44] and then lost marks in the second half.whether its coincidence or focusing probs for so long i don't know.
It could be a problem with conentration, or possibly she began to be aware that time was running out and rushed the questions.

Is there any particular type of question that caused her problems, or is it just random mistakes?
Anyway for what its worth DD got 118/120 and raw scores were 69/70 and was feb born.uggggggggggggh just 1 mark
Thanks, I have noted those.
BTW does anyone have raw marks from previous years? I've seen them somewhere.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=18356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I almost hesitate to post the link for you because unfortunately last year a score of 69 on the first paper would have resulted in a standardised score of 121. :(
sturman

Post by sturman »

Hi Sally Anne

DD did get 4/7 in and 5/8 in two questions in paper one. That's 6 of the 11 she got wrong .However i don't think there is a lot in that.Her maths and codes wee all 100%. Do you think its worth mentioning that last year she would of passed?

Thanks Sturman
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

sturman wrote:DD did get 4/7 in and 5/8 in two questions in paper one. That's 6 of the 11 she got wrong
Which types were they? Just post the description for me, would you? Even better, if you are able to scan and send the whole sheet to the Appealsbox I can take a more detailed look at it.
However i don't think there is a lot in that.
Don't rule it out yet ...
Her maths and codes were all 100%.
That could well be worth a mention - let's see where we get to.
Do you think its worth mentioning that last year she would of passed?
Almost certainly not, because it is her performance against this year's cohort that matters.

Having said that, if the appeal is going swimmingly and you are all getting on well together (it honestly does happen!), it could be a nice throwaway line: "Ironically we have learned that if she had taken the test last year, her raw score of 69 would have come out as 121 for the first paper ..." If the panel are already thinking that your case is strong, it might just give them pause for thought.

It would also depend on who the LA Rep is - some would wade in and dispute the validity of the point hotly, others might wade in and support you! And just occasionally there might be one who hasn't got a firm grip on how such a discrepancy can come about. :roll:
sturman

Post by sturman »

Thanks again Sally-Anne

Will scan and post to appeal box..Sadly can only do it tonight as only kids and OH capable of working magic box[scanner]
would be great for you to have a look though.

Sturman
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi sturman

Thanks for sending that over. I am looking through it and I will get back to you on it later.

S-A
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi sturman

The only item you should include with your letter is the Year 5 report.

Can you please clarify what the "creative writing school letter" is? If it is a letter from the school concerning the appeal then it should also go. If it is a piece of her work then you should simply take it with you to the hearing. You do not need to send copies of her schoolwork, certificates, etc, nor provide copies for each member of the panel at the hearing - just hand the originals over at the end to allow the panel to look through them. The clerk will then return them to you.

You can refer to all the other items in your letter (just a list) and say that you will be bringing them with you to the appeal.

I suggest that you leave out the extenuating circumstances completely from your letter. The eyesight issue is on the Head's sheet anyway and we have to wait for the outcome of your email enquiry before deciding what to do for the best. You can then address the matter at the hearing itself when the panel raise it (which they definitely will), and submit a small amount of evidence on the day if necessary: "Well, since writing to you I have been thinking about this and I wonder if this might be the reason ..." (Hands over copies of a sheet or two to each panel member.)

You could even offer up all 3 possibilities when they ask, but in a very tentative manner indeed, concluding with "I don't think we will ever really know, but we do hope you will feel that the evidence suggests that something stopped her achieving as highly as she should have done ...".

Sally-Anne
sturman

Post by sturman »

Hi Sally-Anne

The creative writing reference is just a certificate from her creative writing course that she does after school. I will just take it along to the hearing.

Many thanks

Sturman