Scores 111 and 116 Bucks Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Scores 111 and 116 Bucks Appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

11plushelp wrote:Agreed to give a letter rather than filling out Head teacher form. She claims that the letter is more detailed than the form. Not sure whether appeal panel view on the same line?
If the HT does not complete her form, there is a risk that a panel may ask you (and themselves) whether the Head supports the appeal. Without the form you have no proof to offer them that the Head believes that your child should be at a GS.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Again, I think it rather depends on what the letter says.

(Panels will usually be familiar with letters rather than forms from out-of-county 'non partner' schools.)
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

11plushelp wrote:Today I have spoke the teacher and she is very supportive.
I think Etienne and I are saying the same thing, but from a different perspective. Is it the Head teacher who will be writing the letter or the class teacher?

If it is the Head who will be writing the letter, then Etienne is right that the form is not always used by OoC Heads. What is important is that you get something from the Head teacher, not just the class teacher!
11plushelp

Post by 11plushelp »

Finally I got the letter from the school but it is from her class teacher and not from the head teacher. I did insist her class teacher to get it signed from the head but she claimed that class teacher knows the child better; it was usually the class teacher who issue the letter in the past and head is really busy etc.. She has mentioned that predicted level at KS2 is 5C in reading, 5C in writing and 5A in maths. She also mentioned that in the recent mock SATS ( held in NOV11), my DD scored 5B in maths and 4A in English reading and writing.

Will the appeal panel consider class teacher's letter? I have only 3 days left and not sure, will I be able to meet the Head personally and request for a letter or fill-in the head teacher summary form.

I am confused :(

Please advise.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Finally I got the letter from the school but it is from her class teacher and not from the head teacher. I did insist her class teacher to get it signed from the head but she claimed that class teacher knows the child better; it was usually the class teacher who issue the letter in the past and head is really busy etc.
OK - but you will need to explain all this to the appeal panel (and to remind them that it's an OoC school).
Etienne
11plushelp

Post by 11plushelp »

Etienne wrote:
Finally I got the letter from the school but it is from her class teacher and not from the head teacher. I did insist her class teacher to get it signed from the head but she claimed that class teacher knows the child better; it was usually the class teacher who issue the letter in the past and head is really busy etc.
OK - but you will need to explain all this to the appeal panel (and to remind them that it's an OoC school).
Thanks Etienne. I still like to speak to the Head and request. In case if she agrees , Shall I send the form later ? Also I have posted my covering letter in the appeal box and like to know whether the format and the explanation is good enough as I am not a good writer.

Many Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Also I have posted my covering letter in the appeal box and like to know whether the format and the explanation is good enough as I am not a good writer.
Sorry, but we specifically ask in the guidelines: Please note that we cannot normally deal with wide-ranging or open-ended questions such as "We've emailed our case - what do you think of it?" or "We've sent you a copy of our draft appeal letter - please comment."
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not that we don't want to - we simply don't have enough time to read and comment on everyone's appeal submission!
Besides, if you've read the Q&As, you'll know that I don't attach much importance to the appeal letter - it's the evidence that matters. :)

All I will say is to remind everyone to keep to one side of A4 maximum, to keep extenuating circumstances to no more than 50% of this, to ensure that the list of academic evidence is wide-ranging (http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and to avoid straying from academic ability/extenuating circumstances on to comments about character (e.g. "a hardworking pupil").
I still like to speak to the Head and request. In case if she agrees , Shall I send the form later ?
You ought to ring the Appeals team to check this - I think they ask you to tick a box on your appeal form to say either that you're enclosing the headteacher summary sheet or that you will not be providing it! (Explain that this is an OoC school.)
Etienne
11plushelp

Post by 11plushelp »

Finally I got my date for appeal and it is 3rd Feb. I have question about the presentation which I need to give. In presentation, Do I need to repeat, what was written in my letter sent along with the application form that explains academic achievement and extenuating circumstance?

Also like to know whether there is any dress code for attending appeal. Is formal attire preferable?

Many Thanks,
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

In presentation, Do I need to repeat, what was written in my letter sent along with the application form that explains academic achievement and extenuating circumstance?
It depends how lengthy your original letter was. Ideally you shouldn't need to do more than just remind the panel very briefly of your main points.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also like to know whether there is any dress code for attending appeal. Is formal attire preferable?
There's no dress code, as the panel will be judging the evidence, not you - but I'd avoid jeans and baseball cap! :)
Otherwise, anything from smart casual upwards (and preferably something you feel comfortable in).
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If, for any reason, someone had to attend an appeal in their working clothes - those of a plumber or nurse for example, a simple apology for "not having time to change" would be entirely acceptable.

As Etienne says, you are not being judged - the evidence is what counts.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now