Etienne

Re: Bucks Appeal - 113 / 109

Post by Etienne »

Predicted SATs:
Maths 5B
Reading 5A
Writing 5B
Should we have one for Science too?
Science is optional (for appeal purposes).
VR Scores:
Autumn '08 - 108
Summer '10 - 116
Summer '11 - 125
Should we include all of these to show progression of just the latest one?
I'd suggest the last two - but the headteacher might include them in her report.
Etienne
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Thanks Etienne for your last response - sorry for the late reply - only just seen it.

Finally got the Headteacher's summary sheet today and it is just about perfect to assist us in our case (except an incorrect DoB :roll: ):

- Slight amendment to the predictions we were given on Friday, he has given 5a for both Maths and English :D
- "Wholeheartedly" supporting the appeal and that she would "thrive in a grammar school environment".
- Mentions of "always works at a higher level than her peers" in Maths and English comments.
- Extenuating circumstances info backing up the same in our appeal letter, also noting that she can be understandably emotional and experience good and bad days.

As you suggested, he has included the 108 VR result for Autumn 2008. In your opinion, will it look like we're avoiding this one if not included in our letter?

Lastly, on the Appeal form there is a large box to include the grounds on which we are appealing. Is it OK to point directly to the appeal letter here or should we include exactly the same information as on the letter? (Our letter is less than one side of A4 - bullet-pointed similar to the sample letter on here).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As you suggested, he has included the 108 VR result for Autumn 2008. In your opinion, will it look like we're avoiding this one if not included in our letter?
Yes - I feel sure someone will spot the omission otherwise!
Lastly, on the Appeal form there is a large box to include the grounds on which we are appealing. Is it OK to point directly to the appeal letter here
Yes - just write "Please see attached letter".

Good luck!
Etienne
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Thanks Etienne, really appreciate your quick responses... even at this hour of night! :)
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

All I can say is THANK YOU!!!! We had our letter from appeal today and we won!! As with a couple of others on here, we both had to read it three or four times before we were sure. Absolutely over the moon!!

I am so glad I found this site - I'm not sure we could have presented our case anywhere near as well without the help from here. In fact I don't think either of us knew where to start! I have to thank all contributors but especially Etienne and Sally-Anne who gave such sound advice to my posts above.

I've added a feedback post in the "Feedback from all areas thread" but this is from my comments on there. I hope it helps anyone yet to have their appeal hearing, even if in only a small way:

Our Appeal letter followed the format of Etienne's sample letter on here - clear and concise and was easily less than one side of A4. We had heard of friends (with successful appeals) who had 4 or 5 pages but I couldn't see the benefit in overloading the panel with this. We spent an entire (very stressful) weekend before our hearing, preparing our presentation and based it largely on the original letter - just rearranged some of the points so that it flowed with the order that the evidence was presented and expanded slightly on some points. We practiced reading the presentation with a friend and timed it at just over 4 minutes. We also read through as many feedback responses as possible for questions that may be asked, rationalised them, then made sure we both knew good (and truthful) answers to as many as possible.

On the day we were both very nervous but felt that we had done everything we could to prepare and were well-armed for the hearing. We handed a copy of our speech to the Clerk which was gratefully received. We had also printed out a copy for each panel member and LEA rep but they were left in the middle of the table to read later.

We were taken into a relatively small, unimposing room with just about enough space for one large table for the panel and a smaller one against it for us. The first thing the Chair said to us was that she wanted us to feel relaxed and un-hurried so this immediately eased us into the meeting. No questions were asked of the LEA rep after his statement so I read out our presentation.

I opened by thanking them for hearing our appeal and hoping we could prove that a grammar school would be the best environment for our DD's capabilities and future education. I outlined her acedemic evidence and the headmaster's glowing recommendation plus mentioned two letters of support we had from the school. We had been given one of these letters (from her class teacher) on the Friday before the hearing, so I offered the panel the chance to read at this point if they wished. They declined but said they would read it at the end of the hearing and thanked us for offering. Then it came to our extenuating circumstances and I just choked - I couldn't go on, so I had to pass it to my wife to finish reading - The emotion from both of us was clear and we were told to take our time.

Afterwards they asked quite a few questions (as detailed in the feedback thread) and we answered as best we could. One of the panel had a similar circumstance to us so asked very relevant questions and was quite understanding of our answers. The questions almost became chat towards the end including a bit of humour!

Then the LEA rep summed up, and I followed with a couple of lines from a thread on here, thanking them for their time and hoping that we had given them enough evidence to consider upholding our appeal.

We were then asked if we were sure we had raised everything we wanted to. We had taken a bullet-pointed sheet with the most important things we wanted to bring up - all had been covered, either in the presentation or the questions, so we said that we had nothing to add. The Chair finished up by saying that whatever the result, they wished us and our DD all the best for the future :)

The LEA rep led us out and sat with us while the panel read through the class teacher's letter and our DD's school work. The clerk returned these after about 5-10 minutes.

All-in-all, we were pleasantly surprised at how the hearing went. It's not the first time we've had to 'fight' for our children's education/rights but it was probably the most stressful lead up! I think the fact that we had tried to cover everything in preparation made it a whole lot easier :) And it all payed off!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Peejay, and many, many congratulations to you! A win on such low scores was a huge mountain to climb, but you were clearly equal to the challenge! :D

Thank you for posting on the Feedback section - very helpful of you. I had to laugh at your mentions of two of the questions:
Does she make friends easily. (First time I've heard this one in all feedback I've read)
If she had any idea of what career she wants to follow.(again - First time I've heard this one in all feedback I've read)
I got both of those at my appeal, way back when! I almost wonder if it might still be the same panel member - although I have long since blotted out their names from my memory.
What is a typical evening in our house.
I am so glad I didn't get that one though! "For the 20th time of asking, would you please get off your XBox and do your homework? ... :roll:
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Peejay, and many, many congratulations to you! A win on such low scores was a huge mountain to climb, but you were clearly equal to the challenge! :D
What is a typical evening in our house.
I am so glad I didn't get that one though! "For the 20th time of asking, would you please get off your XBox and do your homework? ... :roll:
Thank you Sally-Anne.

It was the Chair lady who asked those questions - retired teacher I think.

We thought it best not to mention her Moshi-monsters addiction!!! ;)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Many congratulations, Peejay! :D

That's a remarkable achievement!

So very pleased for you.
Etienne
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Thanks Etienne, couldn't have done it without all your help :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Marvellous news!!!! Have a great time celebrating Peejay!!

.... typical evening chez Munster??? .... hmmm glad I have never been asked that - now which cupboard did I put the kids in???
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now