11+ Bucks scores of 113/114 - should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: 11+ Bucks scores of 113/114 - should I appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Dear Tee

You need to state your user name when emailing - otherwise we can have difficulty working out who is who! :?

I see no harm in just attaching some brief evidence of the extenuating circumstances. The difficulty, as you recognise, is that they happened some while ago. It might explain any underperformance at school - I'm afraid it's unlikely to help explain underperformance in the 11+.
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Thanks for speedy response. Sorry for not putting my username on.

Should I include this in the appeal letter that I'll be sending with the form and what would be the best way to approach this?

The more I read about the appeals process and experiences the more I feel worried as our chances seem slim with only strong support from the headteacher and some positive levels that I hope the headteacher will comment on in his report. Not sure if we can cope with another let down after the 11+ results :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Should I include this in the appeal letter that I'll be sending with the form and what would be the best way to approach this?
I would just write "Please see appendix X for some background information."

It begs the question "Did this affect the 11+ in any way?" - so I think you'll need to be prepared to respond along the lines "I'm not sure - I just wanted to give a bit of background to show why (in his school's words) he might not always be 'working to full potential'."
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Hello Etienne

I filled in the yellow form and took your advice about a letter for extenuating circumstances. However I have got the ht summary back today and he has given ds 2/2 and given him level 5 but no sub levels. I have just noticed that there is not level for English in the 'expected ks2 SAT scores' but just a level for Maths - will this be a problem?

The ht states 'supports ds...I believe he has potential to perform significantly better than current levels'....'ds has some issues regarding application and motivation in school and can on ocassions be easily distracted'...he is showing improved levels of maturity'. In maths ds 'has potential to achieve significantly above national expectations' and English achieve 'higher end of age expectations.

I am worried that 2:2 is not strong enough evidence with ds current 11 plus marks - and do you think it is accurate given what ht has said about ds potential academically?

The date on yellow letter states appeals need to be in within 10 school days from 25th - which I take to mean by the end of this week? Do you think I should speak to the ht about the above before sending off?

I have asked for sub levels and ks2 results but no response from the school regarding that in the report or otherwise.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have got the ht summary back today and he has given ds 2/2 and given him level 5 but no sub levels.
Unfortunately they don't have to give sub-levels (even in Bucks).
I have just noticed that there is not level for English in the 'expected ks2 SAT scores' but just a level for Maths - will this be a problem?
Possibly not, as he's written 'higher end of age expectations'. (You'll have to draw the panel's attention to that. You can also remind them that the head is OoC.)

It's curious, though, that he's left it blank.
I am worried that 2:2 is not strong enough evidence with ds current 11 plus marks - and do you think it is accurate given what ht has said about ds potential academically?
A '2' means highly recommended, so I don't think there are grounds for querying it.

Quite a lot of the '1's that panels come across lack a degree of credibility anyway!
The date on yellow letter states appeals need to be in within 10 school days from 25th - which I take to mean by the end of this week? Do you think I should speak to the ht about the above before sending off?

I have asked for sub levels and ks2 results but no response from the school regarding that in the report or otherwise.
Th difficulty with being OoC is that the headteacher doesn't have to do anything. You are dependent on his goodwill. I see no reason why you shouldn't ask, but you'll have to be diplomatic!
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Thank you for your response.

I will diplomatically speak to him tomorrow if possible, otherwise will post it as it is.

From your experience with the 11 plus, do you forsee any problems with the comments on the ht summary sheet? Do you think comments on the lack of motivation etc may be a problem at the appeal? What sort of questions may arise from such a case and how can I prepare for these/address in the appeals letter?

You said sometimes 1's lack a degree of credibility - Do you think that ds ht report is credible from the bits I quoted earlier? How can I ensure that ds 2;2 doesn't lack credibility? I am including a year 5 report that maintains he is above average (but no levels, ep report once done and the extenuating circumstances that I mentioned before and will take school books for maths/english/science to the appeal.

Thanks once again for all your time in answering my questions.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

From your experience with the 11 plus, do you forsee any problems with the comments on the ht summary sheet? Do you think comments on the lack of motivation etc may be a problem at the appeal?
No - I'm hoping they will help!!!

As I said earlier, "the panel will not mind in the slightest what your son's behaviour [or motivation] is like! It's not a matter for them. It only becomes an issue if there's some underlying cause which could have affected the 11+ result, and which would therefore strengthen your case."
What sort of questions may arise from such a case and how can I prepare for these/address in the appeals letter?
Difficult to say, because it depends on the individual panel members, but they may want to know more about his social skills and problems at school. They will be looking to see whether there's an explanation for underperformance in the 11+. I don't think this is something you should go into more detail about at the moment.
You said sometimes 1's lack a degree of credibility - Do you think that ds ht report is credible from the bits I quoted earlier? How can I ensure that ds 2;2 doesn't lack credibility?
I was thinking of other schools (mostly in Bucks) where there is a large entry for the 11+, and therefore a 'context' for the recommendations. See "d. Interpreting the Headteacher Recommendations":
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Would it be worth getting analysis of test paper to support the fact his English not as strong hence low VR scores, as this something his SATS also suggest.

I spoke to ht and he is revising levels for ks2 SATS to sub levels and adding English level that he missed out by mistake! I asked about the 2:2 and he said that 2 was current working level of ds and his potential level could be 1?
Tee

Post by Tee »

I have sent a query to the appeals box.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would it be worth getting analysis of test paper to support the fact his English not as strong hence low VR scores, as this something his SATS also suggest.
It's a possibility - it might reinforce the point made with the SATs predictions by showing that he did much better at the numerical questions, and therefore the 11+ may not have been fully representative of his ability.
I spoke to ht and he is revising levels for ks2 SATS to sub levels and adding English level that he missed out by mistake! I asked about the 2:2 and he said that 2 was current working level of ds and his potential level could be 1?
Well, the question is about potential. not about current working level .....

The question for you is whether to risk raising this with him now (can you face one another again so soon? :)), or whether to wait for the New Year to discuss any last minute issues (including this one).
I have sent a query to the appeals box.
Sorry, Tee, but the Appeals box is for private background information to questions on the forum. We can word our answers so that background information remains confidential, but I don't see how we can give specific answers on here to very specific questions that you want kept private! :?: :)
Etienne