Appeal with 116 and Dyspraxia for bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
please advice

Appeal with 116 and Dyspraxia for bucks

Post by please advice »

Hi all
Desperate for advise. DS results for bucks 116 and 108, after much conserdration i have decided to appeal, wasnt so sure a couple of days ago, thinking its just not meant to happen despite all the hard work maybe my DS is not good enough for grammar school. Done what we could and it wasnt enough.

My DS has had problems with spellings and handwritting for as long as I can remember, Almost all teachers have approched me with regards to this, saying her presenation of her work is unaccaptable she cant even write in a straight line. She has no knowledge of the basic spelling rules, gets simple words wrong. I tried helpping her at home with no real improvments. The school was very slow in doing something about it after much naging an EP was invloved and she done some tests on my DS sometime in oct.

DS is very bright in maths, and is expected to take a level 6 paper, her english is at 4b. I was discussing this withsome over the weekend and saying its her english that has let her down and the reason why she may have not made the 11+. Th word dyslexia was said. I immeduately looked this up and to my surprise found the symtoms for dyspraxia matched my daughter.

I have made the school aware of this they are know doing what they can for my DS, but not fast enough in terms of getting an appeal together. Can someone please advice as to what I should be doing next to get the school or privately to get a diagnosis for this and how strong of a case would I have at appeal. Or the fact a problem has been identified so late and with the back up of the class teacher is it enough to get her through this.

I will give some more detailed background information to the moderators in the hope that It is not impossible to have a strong case on the above.

I am so proud of my DS to come this far despite her learning difficulties.
Etienne

Re: Appeal with 116 and Dyspraxia for bucks

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about all the problems, and you're right to try and assemble as much evidence about them as you can. What worries me, though, is that you're focusing on extenuating circumstances, and there's not much mention of academic evidence.

If you've read the Q&As, especially
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/miscellaneous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you'll know that academic evidence is much more important than extenuating circumstances. Let me put it this way - even if you have all the proof in the world of dyspraxia, your appeal will not succeed unless there is enough evidence of high academic ability to satisfy the panel.

You can certainly argue that your daughter (am I right that it's a girl? - 'DS' means 'son'! :)) is much stronger on the maths side, and that the 11+ did not allow her to show her real ability, but more factual evidence will be needed to back this up.

I note the entry for level 6, but is the head predicting a 5a for KS2 maths?
Did her year 5 report have anything to say about her being very bright at maths?
What were the cognitive results that you mentioned in the Appeals Box? - you say they were 'above average', but they need to be well above average. (116 in the Bucks 11+ is above average, but it's not what you wanted!)
Is the headteacher going to give her a '1' recommendation for academic potential?

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
please advice

Post by please advice »

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. sorry its DD.

Your right maybe I am focusing to much on the dyspraxia side of things, but I cant help but think it has stopped DD from reaching her true potential and her English levels have been greatly affected by this condition.

I have a meeting with the head to discuss this and will let you know predictions and cognitive results. Will the school have a list of who they think will pass test before tests are done, we are OOC.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I cant help but think it has stopped DD from reaching her true potential and her English levels have been greatly affected by this condition.
It would have affected her English, yes, but you're going to have to prove her ability in other areas.
I have a meeting with the head to discuss this and will let you know predictions and cognitive results. Will the school have a list of who they think will pass test before tests are done, we are OOC.
Probably not (unless it's a 'partner school').

I think you need to change your position with the school. For the purposes of an appeal, don't ask them to write about dyspraxia (all they can do is arrange for a referral) - ask them to provide academic evidence (maths tests, for example - but no projects!).

The headteacher's summary sheet, used within Bucks and by OoC partner schools, can be seen here:
https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... anuals.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Click on the 5th download: Headteachers Appeal Summary Sheet - 2012)

Headteachers outside of Bucks cannot be obliged to fill it in, but it's helpful if they are willing to do so! Failing that, it gives you an idea of the sort of information the headteacher should ideally be including in a letter.

Ask the head whether the school does any standardised tests (section 4).
Etienne
please advice

Post by please advice »

Thank u so much for your comments, really helpful for the meeting with the head. Can I request a letter of support from the class teacher as I feel she knows my DD best, in addition to the heads summery sheet.

Also what are your thoughts on including the personal family back ground issues to the appeal.

Many Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Can I request a letter of support from the class teacher as I feel she knows my DD best, in addition to the heads summery sheet.
You could ask - but some schools might not allow this.
Also what are your thoughts on including the personal family back ground issues to the appeal.
I suspect the panel will only be interested in what was going on at the time of the tests or in the period leading up to the tests.

Good luck for your meeting!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now