Admission policy based on ranking- Can you still appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
layla22

Admission policy based on ranking- Can you still appeal?

Post by layla22 »

I've been toying with this idea in my head for a while, afraid to post in case I sound absolutely mad or even worse plain stupid. Today I will throw caution to the wind and just ask.
Where a school ranks a child from say 1-120 based on entrance test, there is no point appealing under "non-qualification", except if the child is 2-3 points out is there? Or is there an upper limit and after that it's not worth trying?
No amount of high CAT scores in year 5 , working at level 6 etc. is going to help, is it?
I am thinking of St Olave's in Orpington, which we have as 1st pref. I know we have to wait until allocation day, but I thought I would just ask now, so I can start to sort things out in my head before all the madness starts in March :?
Any advice would be well appreciated.
Etienne

Re: Admission policy based on ranking- Can you still appeal?

Post by Etienne »

You certainly have the right to appeal, and we mention this in the Q&As, B1b:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I can't tell you is whether your particular appeal panel will favour a mark close to the cut-off score. This could happen with schools that are heavily oversubscribed and where entry is very competitive - although the panel should take full account of any extenuating circumstances that convincingly explain an underperformance. The alternative academic evidence would also need to be very strong (e.g. there are high CAT scores, and even higher CAT scores ...... :)).
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

When a school admits based on ranking, the actual position of the last admitted child may be significantly different from the top 120 or whatever. What I mean is that though they take the top 120 - this may in fact be down to say 160 as kids may put other schools first (won't be offered first choice) or kids get in off waiting lists as people turn down places for indies etc.

You can appeal - the challenge is to find academic evidence to demonstrate that your DC should be considered to have got a high enough score.

edit: Etienne beaten me to it!... even got the right link!
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Thank you both.
I shall consider our options.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now