Buckinghamshire 109 Extenuating Circs.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ohbe

Buckinghamshire 109 Extenuating Circs.

Post by ohbe »

Hi there

My DS scored 108 & 109, far short of what we and his school expected.  Initially we were not intending to appeal (we understand there is about a 3% chance) but after speaking with the HT have decided that we owe it to our son to appeal, given the extenuating circumstances (separate email to Appeals box)

The HT assessment is 1:1 with Expected KS2 at 5 (Maths) and 5 (English) backed up with a strong commentary in all the curriculum areas, extenuating circumstances and HT additional information "We fully support this appeal".

We are intending to submit School reports to reinforce the academic argument but are struggling on how to present the extenuating circumstances given the subjectivity of the issue but mindful that it has, in our opinion and that of the school, clearly affected his performance.

Welcome your thoughts; many thanks.
Etienne

Re: Buckinghamshire 109 Extenuating

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the background information, and I'm so sorry to hear how difficult things have been.

In answer to your first question, I feel sure it would not be legally possible. I think all evidence would have to be disclosed, and open to discussion, at the hearing. If you'd like to ring the Appeals team, they will give you an authoritative answer, consulting their own solicitor if necessary. I don't know if they can suggest any way round your basic problem - I'm afraid I'm not aware of one, although there must have been one or two cases not dissimilar in the past.

I would make just one observation about the academic evidence. With such low scores, as you realise, the panel is going to need a lot of convincing - irrespective of curriculum-based evidence and any extenuating circumstances.
In my view, to stand a chance, you would need compelling alternative evidence of reasoning ability (e.g. CAT or NFER VR scores from school, or WISC/BAS test results from an educational psychologist). By 'compelling', I'm thinking of something around the 95th percentile!

Wish I could be of more help - please come back if you have any further questions.
Etienne
ohbe

Post by ohbe »

Etienne

Thank you for your speedy and sympathetic response; as you say, we have an awfully slim chance.

I will speak to his HT regarding the tests you mention, although I don't think he has been subject to these tests to date. Whilst not ruling out additional testing, I am concerned at adding extra pressure to him at this time and wonder perhaps whether to try for the 12+ in due course when, hopefully, life will be calmer.

Food for thought anyway.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The 12+ is an option. If successful, there's no guarantee of a place - although there is of course a right of appeal if the school you want is oversubscribed.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Etienne
ohbe

Re: Buckinghamshire 109 Extenuating Circs.

Post by ohbe »

I noticed somewhere in the Forum that reference was made that the Appeals Panel have access to consolidated 11+ results on a school by school basis. Is this information publicly available elsewhere?
Etienne

Re: Buckinghamshire 109 Extenuating Circs.

Post by Etienne »

This 'contextual' information regarding the child's own school will be included in the appeal papers sent to the panel, the appellant, and the LA representative.

As far as I'm aware, it does not apply to OoC schools unless they are partner schools.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now