Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thefirs

120 appeal (Bucks) - please help with specifics

Post by thefirs »

Hi could i have your advice for my son please

120 / 113
all 5's predicted in sats (1 acheived already)
spelling age 13.3 (10.11 when taken)
reading age 11.8
serious extenuating circumstances
recommended 2:1
head teacher ranked him 3rd in the year for academic ability
on a,g,t register at school

so those are the facts, got v v v good circumstances to cover me but i need help with the question i know i will be asked about why 113 on 2nd paper. and reading age not great this year (although this was taken during extenuating circ time) same as 11 plus. should i say he also gets v nervous for tests? report for HT is good "wholeheartedly recommending"
. do u think these will really let me down. i just dont trust this system even with my circumstances
what do u think ??
thanks
awanboueki

Re: 120 appeal - please help with specifics

Post by awanboueki »

Hi

My son is in the same situation as yours he got 112/120 we have an appeal date and i khow they are going to ask
about the 112 result,We dont have an excuse expect that maybe nerves on the day,I dont khow if this is acceptable or not.
Etienne

Re: 120 appeal - please help with specifics

Post by Etienne »

recommended 2:1
Good. We'll have to wait and see what the school's recommendations look like overall.
head teacher ranked him 3rd in the year for academic ability
on a,g,t register at school
Good - but what this means depends to some extent on how academically strong the year group is. (G&T for which subject?)
got v v v good circumstances to cover me but i need help with the question i know i will be asked about why 113 on 2nd paper. and reading age not great this year (although this was taken during extenuating circ time) same as 11 plus.
I can't really create an answer if there were no extenuating circumstances that applied to the second paper but not to the first. It's possible he may have had an 'off day' when he scored 113 - no test is 100% reliable (which is why there are two VR tests).

I would have liked to see some alternative evidence of reasoning ability.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I take it the school doesn't do CATs or other NFER VR tests?
should i say he also gets v nervous for tests?
You could try, but it would be much better coming from the school as evidence, because a lot of people will be claiming nerves!
Etienne
thefirs

Re: 120 appeal (Bucks) - please help with specifics

Post by thefirs »

Etienne wrote:I can't really create an answer if there were no extenuating circumstances that applied to the second paper but not to the first. It's possible he may have had an 'off day' when he scored 113 - no test is 100% reliable (which is why there are two VR tests).
Well our extenuating circumstances are our life during & leading up to this period of time so the whole thing has affected him overall. i will post them in private message bit for you etienne
Etienne wrote:Good - but what this means depends to some extent on how academically strong the year group is. (G&T for which subject?)
Well 14 passed out of approx 58 & A,G,T in D&T (his fav thing to design then make someting , hence the wish to becombe a architect!)

Yes we have done NFER test before he got 128 & 119.

I guess with this system it is bitter sweet to me as i have appealed before & failed (with extenuating circumstances of our business collapse & scores of 119/119 & failed. This son was supposed to walk it & typical to everything with me he flunked it - i cant beleive it, even the teacher told me he would walk it.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi thefirs
thefirs wrote:Well our extenuating circumstances are our life during & leading up to this period of time so the whole thing has affected him overall. i will post them in private message bit for you etienne
Please note that it is not possible to send a Forum PM to Etienne. You need to use this facility instead http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sally-Anne
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

oh yes - done that

awanboueki - i dont think nerves will really cut it if im honest - evidence is what they want

good luck

got my date too 20th jan - whens yours?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The firs. When you say:
all 5's predicted in sats (1 acheived already)
What do you mean about one achieved already? What assessment was this? Do you have the evidence e.g the paper?

Recent levelled tests? Other levelled work?
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

i mean he already has a level 5 in literacy from the yr 5 sats - it is on headmasters report
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Y5 optional test is not not really enough - you should have examples of work at level 5 not just one assessment. Most Bucks schools use APP now which considers a range of work which give a more accurate level.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thanks for your message - I'm glad that things have worked out well for you.

Can you confirm that your son took the test in the first two weeks of October (the normal timing for Bucks state schools/Partner Schools)?

Has the Head commented that your son showed distress at school, or that there was a drop in the standard of his work during September? Although the panel will certainly be sympathetic to the issue, you need to demonstrate as closely as possible that there was a clear impact on your son's academic performance.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now