Berks Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
natural

Berks Appeal

Post by natural »

Do I have grounds for an appeal? My DC obtained a score of 110 in the Slough Consortium exam - passed the NVR but slightly missed on VR.

Can I appeal non-qualification based on academic evidence? DC received 5c in Yr5 for everything.

Also, would I be able to appeal to Langley (where DC sat the exam), but also Slough and St Bernards? I believe DC would have a chance of getting into St Bernards if I were able to appeal - but only if I can appeal directly? But would DC have a chance at getting into Langley?

Any help would be appreciated - :?: Thanks
Etienne

Re: Berks Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Dear natural

Some of our Berkshire members may be able to advise you about specific schools, but generally speaking you can only appeal for a school where you have been refused.

As for the grounds for appeal, it probably depends when the appeals are held. If before 1st March, then the issue is likely to be just non-qualification. You would need as much academic evidence as possible.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If after 1st March, then in addition to non-qualification, you might well have to appeal against oversubscription as well.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

An appeal in Slough (historically) has been twofold, you appeal against non-qualification and also for a place, usually at your 1st preference school, there has been instances where the preferences have been changed ..... I haven't had much feedback in the last couple of years over appeals but you need to present a very strong case to get a positive decision in Slough.
In the past appeals have taken place before allocation and therefore winning an appeal in Slough means you are allocated a place. This is different to the Bucks system and can cause some tension as applicants who didn't achieve the qualification mark have the chance to appeal before those who narrowly miss the allocation cut off in March. Not sure whether this is the case now.
natural

Post by natural »

Thanks for your replies.
Although appeal requests have to be submitted by Feb, appeals won't be heard this year until after allocation, I believe April or May.
twilgs

Post by twilgs »

My DD scored 112 in lgs, she was pretty confident and now very disappointed,
since LGS is out of question now and being 2nd priority as SGS, I am still unsure
about SGS, since last few years, cut-off have been 113-114.

Does it make sense to wait until 1st march and then appeal if I don't get in SGS?

After reading this forum , I don't think now is right time to appeal for non-qualification?

Thanks
natural

Post by natural »

I have decided to appeal non-qualification, even though I know it will be a tough ride. I have sent a copy of my appeal letter to the appeals box.
My questions are:
1. Would it make sense to include the mitigating circumstances mentioned, or should I wait for the appeals hearing, either to mention in my presentation or wait until asked? Our mitigating circumstances feel like excuses, and I’m not sure whether it would detract from good academic evidence?
2. DS’s levels at the end of Year 5 were very good, but his predicted level for Writing is the same as Year 5, primarily because of a poor mock SATs paper (taken in the week preceding the 11+exams). Should I include all current working levels, or leave as is?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as I can only appeal first choice school, can I appeal to the other schools on my CAF after allocations day in March?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

1. Would it make sense to include the mitigating circumstances mentioned, or should I wait for the appeals hearing, either to mention in my presentation or wait until asked? Our mitigating circumstances feel like excuses, and I’m not sure whether it would detract from good academic evidence?
I would omit the first one altogether, because working quickly and accurately is what the 11+ is all about, and I'm also doubtful about the last.
The second and third could be covered by a single sentence (so that you're not making too much of them) - "Our normal routine was upset the week before the tests, and he was also affected by the rescheduling of SATs tests at school." (The panel can then ask for more information if they want it.)
2. DS’s levels at the end of Year 5 were very good, but his predicted level for Writing is the same as Year 5, primarily because of a poor mock SATs paper (taken in the week preceding the 11+exams). Should I include all current working levels, or leave as is?
What are the current 'working at' levels? - I can only see the one for maths.
Also, as I can only appeal first choice school, can I appeal to the other schools on my CAF after allocations day in March?
Only the schools can tell you how they organise their appeals. It's a complete mystery to me! :roll:
- but I can tell you that you have a legal right to appeal at some point to each of them listed on your CAF.
Etienne
natural

Post by natural »

Thanks Etienne
Current working at levels are 5b Maths, 5c Reading, 4a Writing
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Maths looks all right. Reading has stayed the same (as at end of year 5). Writing has gone down (for the reason you mentioned).

They do fit the predictions, but I'd be inclined to leave them out, and just give year 5 optional SATs + KS2 predictions.
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

natural wrote: Also, as I can only appeal first choice school, can I appeal to the other schools on my CAF after allocations day in March?
I would have thought so, so you must try.

I think having read things on this website that the other schools don't like appeals for 2nd or 3rd schools in the consortium at this time, but once allocations day has come and gone, I don't think they can refuse an appeal, as you have the right of appeal for any school you have been refused entry for.

I would appeal just now for Langley, then make further appeals once you have a definite refusal of a place after 1st March.

Good luck