why are we waiting?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sturman

why are we waiting?

Post by sturman »

Hi all

Appealed on Friday and not in the post today. I know its only a few days but it's unbearable.I understand my DD didn't get the required grade so she must appeal and it takes time. I understand about academic evidence and extenuating evidence and the time the panel needs to prepare.To be honest i understand all the legal requirements and reasoning of nearly everything.I even would probably understand[after time] if DD didn't get into a grammar.However when your appeal is over and then to make you wait after all that we parents go through and to not make it one of the admissions team priority to get these results out as quick as possible in an age of e-mail , is I feel, a serious lack of empathy and understanding.

Anyway got that out of my system.

Good luck again to everyone

Sturman

PS I think i had the same panel as you Crackers. I 'm maybe wrong about the midwife on my panel and it could be a nurse. was yours over the road from the main building?
Tee

Re: why are we waiting?

Post by Tee »

Hello sturman

I have been following your posts and I also am in the same situation, however I have not had the appeal yet. I suppose I will be feeling just like you a few days after my appeal and I can empathise it is a difficult time for all the parents in our situation.

Thank you for your feedback on the appeal as that has been helpful for parents like myself and I think Etienne and Sally-Anne's support on these forums has been brilliant and either way helped us to prepare the best we can, as the ladies say the rest is up to the panels.

Hold on in there and I am sure whatever the outcome at least you can say you did everything that you could have done.

Good luck :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi sturman

The approximate process following an appeal is normally as follows. On the next working day after the appeal the Clerk will return to the office (the Appeals department, not Admissions) and prepare the appeal letters. They will then be signed by the Head of Appeals, provided she is in the office, and posted first class.

However, there are many things that can slow down that process. For example, the Clerk might be required to cover for an unexpected absence and attend a further day of appeals, the Head of Appeals might be in meetings or out of the office that day, etc, etc. And then there is our creaky postal system ...

The Chair will presumably have told you that you can expect to hear the result of the appeal within 5 working days? I am afraid that is what you may have to live with, although letters do usually arrive earlier than that. If it does not arrive by Friday's post, call the Appeals Offfice immediately and request that another copy of the letter is sent first class that same day.

Sally-Anne
sturman

Post by sturman »

Hi S-A

Thanks S-A, I'm just letting of steam while i wait. If i look at the whole process although there is faults I think it's about right [if you accept the idea of selection] It's just being quicker with the result is the one thing I think they could, without too much rearranging maybe speed up.

Thanks Tee I have been following your posts and others as well. I think like me you've been doing a lot of work on your appeal and i really hope it goes your way.

Now to do some work [that usually lasts 10 mins then i'm reading 2007 appeal posts on this forum] As donkey says "I'm gonna need a whole lotta therapy after this"

Sturman
Crackers

Post by Crackers »

The wait is driving me mad too......I'm fully prepared for both outcomes but just want to know - NOW!!!!!

We were told that the letter may be sent Monday but that was by the LEA rep, the clerk advised us that we need to allow 7 days she said that all the letters for the appeals that day have to be sent at the same time???

I don't think we had a midwife on our panal, the 'nurse' was male and said he was retired but had worked in mental health and yes we were across the road from the main building

Maybe tomorrow........
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's an agonising wait.

Just to warn you, though, that even 7 days is not an absolute requirement. The wording used in the Code is "ideally within five working days"!

They probably have no more than one or two people in the office to produce around 48 letters per day, each one of which must be carefully checked to ensure it meets all legal requirements. The slightest interruption could result in work being carried forward to the next day.

I'm pretty sure you'll hear this week, though. :)
Etienne
sturman

Post by sturman »

The post came this morning,but because DD had insisted that she open it I turned the kettle on and steamed it open [another top tip from this site] AND YES SHE DID IT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I feel like i've been on halucnegenic drugs for the last 8 weeks.

DD did 95% of the work. however you can't be 95% in grammar school, the final 5% was provided by Sally-Anne and Etienne.
If i look at the first posts i made and remind myself what i was going to do and say I could of thrown it away. EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE

Once again MANY MANY THANKS to both of you.

And to everyone else who are either waiting for their result or appeal good luck i know what you're going through [especially Bikeman]

Sturman
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Well done! I am absolutely delighted for you!
munch

Post by munch »

Well done Sturman, really pleased it worked out ok in the end.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Congratulations sturman! It was a pleasure to be able to help you.

Sally-Anne