Appeal by 120 marks ..... Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumma

Appeal by 120 marks ..... Bucks

Post by mumma »

Hello,
My daughter is left out form her vrts by one mark she had got 120 and she is 31august born. She is nearly her level 5s in numeracy and literacy but I am confused whether her appeal will be strong enough or not though she is hard working and talented sporty girl....CONFUSED what to do is there anybody who can suggest me the chances of her.??????I know the age will not going to matter as its a fair test for all and another problem is that we are not English so we don't speak english at home and we didn't watch any english programme.......plzzz help me if anybody can guide me as I'm very much worried help me out??????????
hermanmunster

Re: Appeal by 120 marks...

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Mumma and welcome

Your daughter's score is so near the qualifying mark!

Have you read the Q&A ? http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a look at that and then come back any questions. Also there have been some people who have posted on the forum who do not speak english at home, maybe they will be able to help with advice.
mumma

Re: Appeal by 120 marks ..... Bucks

Post by mumma »

I have read those topics and I found that age and language are not the strong points....is that right?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Age is not as the score is already standardised and hence she is being compared with other august born children.
Re: language - the thing is that she has presumably been educated in english for the last 6 years or so.

You need really to look at academic evidence initially - eg her SATS and end of year report scores - was she doing OK in english in those?
mumma

Post by mumma »

Thanks for replying I really appreciate your help!
Ya her year 5 sats scores were numeracy 4a,literacy 4b and she has been appreciated many times by her teachers as well....and her recent sats reports are same and the teacher said that she will be expected two level above where she is at the moment so she will be on 5b in maths till may and 5c in english...presumably.....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You need to be sure that you apply for the appeal. You can put on it that the evidence is to follow and then you need to collect together school reports / letters from the head / scores / recommendations from the head etc etc .
Also any reasons why she may not have performed as well she could have done .
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mumma wrote:she is 31august born.
Although the results are standardised for age, if she had been born 24 hours (or, presumably, even less?) later, she would have been taking the 11+ a whole year later.

On a score of 120, provided the evidence of high ability is also there, that is quite a powerful point to make.

What was her other score, and in which order were they?
mumma

Post by mumma »

she has got 120/117 in both her exams.....
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

OK, 120/117 isn't too much of a problem. 120/108 or similar would have been very different! It would have been nie to see the scores reversed because one could argue that she was getting into her stride with the second test, and if there had been a third test (as there was in Bcuks many years ago) ...

A dip of four standardised marks equates to one or two questions, and if a particular question type came up on the second test that she tended to find more challenging, that could explain the difference.

The reason that the highest score is described as the "final VRTS" is that it represents the child's alleged "maximum" ability as defined by this particular test. A child who scores 120/108 cannot be said to have a limit to their ability of 108. (One day I will work out a way to describe that better, but I hope you get my drift!)

I am about to send you a PM (Private Message). To read it, please go to the top LH corner of the page and click where it says "You have one new message".
mumma

Post by mumma »

Hi there,
I m worried because my daughter have 4a in maths and 4b in english whether it will be a problem as IAP expected level 5s in both..is that true??? :cry: however she scored 120/117
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now