106 My sons appeal (Berks.)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Major123

Re: 106 My sons appeal (Berks.)

Post by Major123 »

for the slough consortium do we have to submit the ground of appeals with the academic evidence? Or can we do that at a later date
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Have you actually completed the appeal form and sent it off? The deadline is tomorrow according to their website.
Major123

Post by Major123 »

I have completed the grounds of appeal form which is where u write extenuating circumstances etc. I have finished that and will deliver that in person tomorow. But do i have to bring the academic evidence certificates and that tommorow with it aswell?
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I would do what it suggests on the Appeals Advice document
http://www.lgs.slough.sch.uk/page/?titl ... ion&pid=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are two documents on there - one you have completed and one offering advice on what should be included.

Cut and pasted below:

The Chair will ask you to present your case. The Appeal Panel will already have all the written information you have submitted to the Clerk, which may include examples of Year 6 work in English, Mathematics and Science, and a recent school report. Members of the Panel and the School’s Representative may ask you questions.

You may bring to the Appeal samples of the pupil’s Year 6 work in English, Mathematics and Science and a recent school report as further evidence to support your case. Please select these items carefully as time constraints will not permit large volumes of school work or reports to be examined. The Panel’s role is not, however, to make its own assessment of your child’s ability.

The way I read it sounds like you should include recent reports and examples of school work with the appeal, together with evidence of other testing such as CATs. Then on the day bring more proof but not too much!

However, I have never been through the process so I am sure someone else will have more info. But you are running out of time, so it won't hurt to re read the two documents!

Good luck.
chad

Post by chad »

In the guidelines it is said that examples of Yr 6 work can be brought to the appeal. I would suggest that if there is other academic evidence you wish to provide then you write 'academic evidence to follow' and submit it as soon as possible to the clerk so that it can be included in the 'appeal pack' and looked at by the panel before your hearing.
Major123

Post by Major123 »

Is it worth getting an EP phys report. I think its an IQ test, if so where can i find one nd would it be too late>?
And how do we find out the percentile for the CATS?
chad

Post by chad »

You can find an EdPsych here

http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/dcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can search by postcode to find one near to you.

If you do not have other academic evidence it may help.

I
Major123

11+ appeal interview with clerks- Berkshire/slough

Post by Major123 »

What kind of things will they ask me in the interview, and what is the best way to prepare? Should i submit my evidence a few weeks in advance. Is it better to take my sons schools workbooks or should i photocopy certain ones? is it the clerk who makes the final decision??
Looking for help

Re: 11+ appeal interview with clerks- Berkshire/slough

Post by Looking for help »

They will probably ask you why your child didn't reach the required standard, and why you need a place at the school you are appealing for. The clerk is simply there to record the proceedings, and the panel are the ones who make the decision.

As far as your evidence is concerned, you should submit that in advance so they can be familiar with your case. We wrote a couple of sides of A4 with appendices backing up our case, and brought into the appeal copies of certain pieces of schoolwork - in hindsight I think we should have brought actual schoolbooks showing levels attained - however our school didn't really mark like that then. We had copies of SATS practice papers showing high achievement . We also gave the clerk a copy of the presentation we made just so there was no way she could miss something we had said.

Good luck.
Sally-Anne

Re: 11+ appeal interview with clerks- Berkshire/slough

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi major123

The title of your thread suggests to me that you need to learn rather more about the appeal process.

The best place to start is by reading the Appeal Q & As, here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Please do go through them very carefully because I am certain you will feel much better informed after you have done so.

If you would like more help with your appeal after that, please start a thread on the Appeals section of the forum with more details of your case and we will try to assist you. Details of the sort of information that is useful to us can be found here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now