Appeal - a little help please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Appeal - a little help please

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:Did I read somewhere that the new appeals code does not allow for extenuating circumstances and just wants evidence of academic ability, period? I am not sure, but I am confident that the green people here will know. Point being that the family medical issues would not be taken into account?
Another green person here. :mrgreen:

The new Code doesn't prevent extenuating circumstances being used, but it simply doesn't mention specifically.

Any sensible panel is likely to ask the question: "Why did he not perform on the day?", and that invites extenuating circumstances to be mentioned.

However the new Code is probably a step forward, because it really does put academic ability back on centre stage. It has always been there in reality, but in too many appeals the ability was drowned out by tales of misery and woe.
FAIRNESS

Post by FAIRNESS »

Hi
The panel also ask did you inform the school about your father?, did the school offer a late day for exams?
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Hello Sally-Anne. :) Understand what you mean. will get evidence required from school re- ds academic ability & will ask Mum for Dad's papers. the more the better, obviously focusing on DS & not Dad as he's not the one I'm appealing on behalf of. :)
Last edited by zeinab on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Fairness, hi. school wasn't informed as physically he was not ill, but mentally affected by Dad's condition, that only becomes apparent when he's not done as well as he could.

Possibly, as Dad's life was at stake, anything other than that at the time was out of my head. No one thinks straight at a time like that . Anyway, the best thing is to get the evidence from ds school & have Dad's medical report .
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Hi Mods. Received letter from wilson's grammar this am, saying that even though ds passed they're unable to offer a place cos of over subscription & will be happy to put him on the reserve list once I complete & return slip at the bottom of letter. appeal form should be lodged before 30th March. Also that his position on the reserve list will be available beginning of April (no date).

Shall go ahead with appeal. Long road ahead, but wish me luck if you don't mind. :)
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I just wanted to say that I wish you all the very best ...with luck your dc will be offered a place on the waitlist but if it doesn't and you appeal you couldn't have come to a better place for advice and encouragement. Absolutely invaluable !! Tigger x
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sally-Anne wrote:The new Code doesn't prevent extenuating circumstances being used, but it simply doesn't mention specifically.

Any sensible panel is likely to ask the question: "Why did he not perform on the day?", and that invites extenuating circumstances to be mentioned.

However the new Code is probably a step forward, because it really does put academic ability back on centre stage. It has always been there in reality, but in too many appeals the ability was drowned out by tales of misery and woe.
It was implied at our annual update training that the new code allowed slightly more flexibility to us panel members, but at the same time meant that our decisions had to be even more clearly reasoned and noted / transcribed by the clerk as the greater flexibility implied that the decisions were slightly more likely to be referred to the Ombudsman / Secretary of State by either side.

I suspect that means we'll carry on with the good practices we follow already.

In Zeinabs case, I would certainly take note of the family circumstances, but would still want to see that his/her child was academically suitable... It wouldn't be fair to allow an appeal for a child who wasn't suitable for a grammar just because of horrible circumstances before the exam, but if they were as bright as the children who had passed it would be a different matter.

Good luck!
Capers
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Tigger, thank you sooo much for your good wishes - means a lot :)

Capers, you have given me a glimmer of hope, but understand appeals can go either way.

Saw DS's teacher at parents' evening last week, few days before national school offer day. He said that DS's maths was level 6 & english was 5a & that he was definitely grammar school material & does extended maths with 3 others in his class.

I've seen first hand how the grammar schools have turned my boys from shy, naive but able kids to all rounders & they have been stretched to their full potential & beyond, if that's possible. It's just beautiful to see how they have developed into fine, decent young men.

Wish the same for my last DS, then I can rest.........whatever that means! :lol:
Last edited by zeinab on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Might as well get this off my chest, so here it goes.......

DS sat another exam & didn't pass. Can I still appeal even though I didn't put it down on CAF, as I thought you could only include the schools that tests were passed at?

There was a lot of disruption during the exam where an invigilator had to caution a boy sitting next to my son a few times! ( He was continually making silly noises & breathing loudly like he was getting impatient as well as looking over to see what ds had written. Invigilator warned him if he continued he would have to leave the hall.

Wrote to school about the incident a few days after DS sat the exam & received a reply saying there were a few incidents that had been noted down confirming this. Is there anything I can do?

Any help again would be so much appreciated.
Last edited by zeinab on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catcool

Post by catcool »

[
DS sat wallington exam & didn't pass. Can I still appeal even though I didn't put it down on CAF, as I thought you could only include the schools that tests were passed at?

No you cannot appeal as you have not been refused a place at wallington being that you did not list as one of your preferences on your CAF.