Birmingham HGS appeal+Twins

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twinsmom11

Birmingham HGS appeal+Twins

Post by twinsmom11 »

Hi KenR/other moderators/members

I would like to appeal for my DS2 who have failed to secure a place in 11+ whilst his twin brother got in HGS. He got a score of 303 (rank 314) when compared to my DS1 who got a score of 321 (ranked 232) with HGS while we still await the scores from KE foundation and QM. The lowest rank deemed for initial offers in 388 for that HGS school. With this background, do we have a chance to make a case? I have the following to say...

1. Being twins, they were brought up for 11 years being together and the prospect of them making them seperate is unbearable.

2. DS2 being more brighter as his achievements say a lot when compared to DS1 as he is YPP member, prefect in his class, a Sports leader, in Gifted & Talented club, 5A in maths, Literacy 5C, Reading 5B. We can try a letter from his class teacher to that effect.

3. DS2 offered a place in both indies, Solihull school & Warwick School while DS1 got in WS alone but both were not offered any scholarships nor AP. We can show them the offer letters.

Does any of these could be argued in his case?

Ty with kind regards for your time in advance.
KenR

Re: Birmingham HGS appeal+Twins

Post by KenR »

Not sure I quite understand - what was the lowest pass score for HGS - was it it really 388?
twinsmom11

Post by twinsmom11 »

Hi KenR

The letter to us which only said ' lowest rank deemed for initial offers is 388' so not sure what the score would be. I will call the school again to find out how far is my son in their waiting list but I just like to know if there is any likely chance to appeal?

Thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't understand how your DS1 got in with 321 when the school and LEA say the lowest score was 388 - must be a mistake
twinsmom11

Post by twinsmom11 »

Hi KenR

I called the school today and was informed to email them giving all the facts. I also found this information on their website regarding the ranking at Handsworth Grammer Boys which they too informed me the same.

A. Children have been put in order of performance and the rank gives their position. If the boy’s rank is between 1 and 289, they must have been given a place at a School higher on the preference form.

B. If the boy is ranked between 289 and 388 he will be on our waiting list.

C. If the boy is ranked between 389 and 900, then he has not reached a standard suitable for entry.

So clearly my DS2 was ranked 314 i.e. some 25 places away from the cutoff rank whereas my DS1 was ranked higher at 232 with 321 score. Hence my original question 'do we stand any chance to appeal?'

Please with your experience, can you suggest us will it be worthwhile?

Many thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

The rank is not really the key piece of information - we would need to know:-

1. What was his score? - (303 I think)
2. What was the pass score (ie the score of the last successful candidate offered a place)?
3. Where he is on the waiting list? (ie Number from an offer)

You need to provide answers top 2 & 3 so we can assess.

You can also maybe try to find out from the school how many appeals were successful for Handsworth Boys (I only know for KE Grammars)