advice needed!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wooiee

advice needed!!

Post by wooiee »

Hello everyone, i am new to this site and am desperately searching for advice:

My son has not reached the qualifying score to get into the one and only grammar school in our city, i have phoned the school to find out how he scored to be told they are not releasing the childrens scores!!! Very frustrating!!! She did however tell me: " he is not on the waiting list but he is in a very small group of boys that missed the mark by less than 5%"

Well........where does that leave me? she cannot tell me how many are in this group either!!

My gut reaction is to appeal as i have nothing to lose but surely they should be releasing the scores?? does anyone know if they are allowed to withhold this info?

I appreciate all comments
thanks
Chai

Re: advice needed!!

Post by Chai »

I am not an expert but I read this in one thread:
This could be tricky, and might take some time to try and sort out!

Quote:
On phoning the school to find out where he has gone wrong they informed us they will not give us ...... my sons actual marks for each test, but only the information that he passed the verbal reasoning test by 8%, passed the Maths test by 11% and failed the english test by 12%!
Suggest you ring the Information Commissioner's helpline to ask for their advice as to whether you are entitled to all your son's individual scores under the Data Protection Act (or whether the school can get away with just the information quoted above).
https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would have thought you are entitled, but if the ICO confirm it, you'll be in a stronger position to put in a formal request to the school under the Data Protection Act. (We can help you do that.)
Hi, I hope the above helps. For a full picture, you can read the thread started by Des entitled "Standardized Tests".

I wish you the best of luck!