Twins appeal 1 successful 1 not

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doubletrouble2

Re: Twins appeal 1 successful 1 not

Post by doubletrouble2 »

Hi Etienne, I am concerned as our school does not do cat scoring so only have available the school information already discussed earlier! Re the local review, we never knew at the time that it compromise our case! Our ds had mentioned that there had been some disruptions in the exam by 2 girls (he can even remember their names) so when he didn't pass we were sent a ltr from school advising we could appeal to them! Which we did using the above disruption plus also a ltr we rec from the ht detailing his ability and expected sat results! This appeal was lost and they said there was no confirmation from the invilgator of this disruption! So I'm not sure we could use this argument again!
Also my other concern was that as he had not passed the exam we never actually put this school down on his lea confirmation list as we thought there would be no point with him not passing the mark! Would this matter and would you recommend I try and call the lea to see if we can amend our school preferences?
Thanks again for your wonderful help!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I am concerned as our school does not do cat scoring so only have available the school information already discussed earlier!
The only alternative is likely to be an educational psychologist's report. If it were to show superior ability in VR, it ought to strengthen your case even further - but, as I indicated above, one cannot say for certain what view any particular panel will take. The cost is considerable, so that is another factor to be taken into account. On the plus side, if you can afford it, most parents seem to say that they find the results of an EP report very interesting, irrespective of an appeal.
Re the local review, we never knew at the time that it compromise our case!
It may or may not. Quite a lot of admission authorities do not in practice make this part of their case. If you wish to name the school (either here on the forum, or privately via the Appeals Box - see http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it's just possible we might know what their policy is; otherwise you will need to ask them).
Our ds had mentioned that there had been some disruptions in the exam by 2 girls (he can even remember their names) so when he didn't pass we were sent a ltr from school advising we could appeal to them! Which we did using the above disruption plus also a ltr we rec from the ht detailing his ability and expected sat results! This appeal was lost and they said there was no confirmation from the invilgator of this disruption! So I'm not sure we could use this argument again!
You could certainly raise it again, because you are asking a different body to consider your case (namely an independent appeal panel). You would be advised to keep it low key, however, because unfortunately there appears to be no evidence of what happened - a point which the school will almost certainly make at the appeal!
Also my other concern was that as he had not passed the exam we never actually put this school down on his lea confirmation list as we thought there would be no point with him not passing the mark! Would this matter .....
The appeal panel may not know anything about your preferences, but even if they do, you have an explanation for not including the school.
and would you recommend I try and call the lea to see if we can amend our school preferences?
Yes, because whatever their response, if the matter were to come up at the appeal, it could help to show that you tried to sort it out.

Was the school on your original common application form? Normally you have to apply on the CAF or by a change of preference - and be refused - in order to appeal.
You're welcome! :)
Etienne
doubletrouble2

Post by doubletrouble2 »

Hi Etienne, re the CAF no we never put it on as when we chose the available schools, we really thought there was no other option available to him and that is twin would be attending the local school with him! Therefore when his twin was placed in GS and decided that was where they wanted to go, we decided to appeal! Is there any way around this?!
Re the school can I send this privately to you, if so how!
doubletrouble2

Post by doubletrouble2 »

Etienne wrote:
I am concerned as our school does not do cat scoring so only have available the school information already discussed earlier!
The only alternative is likely to be an educational psychologist's report. If it were to show superior ability in VR, it ought to strengthen your case even further - but, as I indicated above, one cannot say for certain what view any particular panel will take. The cost is considerable, so that is another factor to be taken into account. On the plus side, if you can afford it, most parents seem to say that they find the results of an EP report very interesting, irrespective of an appeal.
Re the local review, we never knew at the time that it compromise our case!
It may or may not. Quite a lot of admission authorities do not in practice make this part of their case. If you wish to name the school (either here on the forum, or privately via the Appeals Box - see http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it's just possible we might know what their policy is; otherwise you will need to ask them).
Our ds had mentioned that there had been some disruptions in the exam by 2 girls (he can even remember their names) so when he didn't pass we were sent a ltr from school advising we could appeal to them! Which we did using the above disruption plus also a ltr we rec from the ht detailing his ability and expected sat results! This appeal was lost and they said there was no confirmation from the invilgator of this disruption! So I'm not sure we could use this argument again!
You could certainly raise it again, because you are asking a different body to consider your case (namely an independent appeal panel). You would be advised to keep it low key, however, because unfortunately there appears to be no evidence of what happened - a point which the school will almost certainly make at the appeal!
Also my other concern was that as he had not passed the exam we never actually put this school down on his lea confirmation list as we thought there would be no point with him not passing the mark! Would this matter .....
The appeal panel may not know anything about your preferences, but even if they do, you have an explanation for not including the school.
and would you recommend I try and call the lea to see if we can amend our school preferences?
Yes, because whatever their response, if the matter were to come up at the appeal, it could help to show that you tried to sort it out.

Was the school on your original common application form? Normally you have to apply on the CAF or by a change of preference - and be refused - in order to appeal.
You're welcome! :)
Dear Etienne I have sent a mail to the Appeals Box re the question you asked about the school
Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do contact the LA for advice.

Thanks for your message to the appeals box - I'm checking with other mods to see what we know about the school.
Etienne
doubletrouble2

Post by doubletrouble2 »

Etienne wrote:Do contact the LA for advice.

Thanks for your message to the appeals box - I'm checking with other mods to see what we know about the school.
Thank you Etienne, I've sent an email tonight and will ensure that I also call them tomorrow too! I look forward to your reply and will post the LA's advice tomorrow!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

With regard to changing preferences, our understanding of the previous Admissions Code (on which current arrangements are based) is set out here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It might be wise, therefore, when talking to the LA, to explain that "circumstances have changed", and that you have "good reasons" for wanting to make this your first preference.
It's not impossible that the school would allow you to appeal anyway, but let's see how you get on with the LA first of all.

With regard to reviews, we're not 100% sure what the school's policy is when it comes to an appeal, but we do know of other grammar schools in the same LA that have a review, and this doesn't appear to lead to any problem at their appeals. When you've established that there's not going to be an issue with your preferences, I think it would be a sensible precaution to contact the school and ask whether "under paragraph 3.13b of the new Appeals Code" they will seek to limit the grounds of an appeal on the basis that there has already been a properly conducted review. It's a perfectly reasonable question - if you're appealing, you need to know what the rules are going to be!
Etienne
doubletrouble2

Post by doubletrouble2 »

Dear Etienne, thought I'd let you know, we called the LA re the CAF form, I have to put it in writing first, so I have emailed them today and will wait to hear their reply! It can take 7-10 days they advised!!
Also we had parents evening tonight! Ds is on target for 5a in all subjects and hitting 5b now in Jan tests just sat! So looking good! The wonderful man also told us that he would support us in anyway he could! He asked us to let him know what we needed from him in the form of a ltr and support and he'd provide it! What information could he provide to ensure it looked impressive! Do you recommend anything specific that would look good at an appeal? I've got his sats, he'll provide books to take with us, would a letter from him suffice too? To go with the head teachers letter?? If you can think of anything please let me know...
Thanks once again Etienne
Doubletrouble2
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good! :D
What information could he provide ..........
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
doubletrouble2

Post by doubletrouble2 »

Etienne wrote:Good! :D
What information could he provide ..........
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Etienne, I'm still in the process of contacting the GS to ask them about the local appeal! I'll keep you informed of the response as it may help to know for other people who appeal!!