Appeal for a disabled child

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

senmum

Re: Appeal for a disabled child

Post by senmum »

I have dd with severe dyslexia -had to take Essex to point of judicial review pre action protocol letter before they decided to change their discrimatory policy of no extra time or readers for her -in the end they agreed to review with independent ed psych of their choosing who then awarded 25% extra time in English and 10% in VR with a reader for maths and VR papers . I believe this is first time for them. But I had excellent legal advice that they had a discrimatory policy. P.S. she has statement and I am now appealing to school on the grounds of her excellent ability and the fact that the exam conditions and the implementation of the reasonable adjustments were dreadful-I am interested to hear more about why appeal cannot be made to the school for statemented children -Thanks
isx99

Post by isx99 »

My DS has a child in his class with a statement whose parents were able to name a particular school in the statement and so he child was given a place in priority over other applicants. The school itself was a very oversubscribed well performing compehensive school for which the family did not live in the catchment. In addition I do not believe that the school has anything in particular about it, in terms of support, facilities etc that they had to prove could to given by this school alone.

I am not familiar with the process for statements but would you not be given the opportunity to express a preference for a school when the statement was last reviewed? Is there not some sort of transition process for transfer from primary to secondary school?
Mum3boys

Post by Mum3boys »

We have now been offered a place in an out of area comprehensive on condition that we fund all transport costs ourselves. It's not a bad school and way ahead of the awful one we were told was our nearest and the one named by the LEA. A lot of people where we live actually appeal to get in there but it doesn't help our disappointment over the Grammar. The structure and streaming would really suit my son. The comprehensive doesn't stream and if he's not pushed in his top group he gets very upset. As an example in Year 4 he had to have Year 6 homework. His teacher didn't want him to do it as it involved things he hadn't studied but he was so devastated she relented. He scored 98%. He pushes himself so very hard and I doubt I can do anything to stop that. He would hate (to the point of meltdown) to work at the same pace as a low or even mid achiever. It's just how he is and is a big part of his disability. He likes to be the best but also likes some competition or else he is bored. I hope this explains his personality a bit - autism can be different for everyone and like a lot of children with his disability his social skills are poor but he also has massive issues with being competitive and working at the maximum level of his ability.

Today we have been told he is high on the waiting list but there is only one place left and he is unlikely to get it so that's out.

I have been reading loads and I think I am confusing myself as everything seems to be contradictory. The school is an Academy which seems to change everything. I will be calling the IPSEA helpline tonight when my toddler finally gives in and stops making an horrendous racket and I can both think and try and engage my brain a little better. Thank you yet again to everyone who has commented.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Senmum - I've pm'd you.
Clarabelle
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now