Essex Appeals - advice & questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fredup

Re: Essex Appeals - advice & questions

Post by Fredup »

Does it matter if we are appealing to a second choice GS as detailed on our CIF? We have a very valid reason for choosing to appeal here and not our first choice, should I detail this information on our appeal form? (not sure if the school will know they were our second choice school)
Thank you
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

We successfully appealed to the school in Essex which we put second on our CAF form. I express it this way because in some ways it was our first choice school. This is important because we had to explain why this school was a good match for our son. Clearly you have good reason for doing the same so make sure you detail these reasons.

As to whether "they" know, I assume you mean the members of the appeal panel. We appealed to two schools and members of the panel didn't seem to know in advance which schools in which order were on our form but they did ask us at the appeal. We were also asked at both appeals whether we were appealing to any other schools. The POs from both schools clearly knew where their school was on the CAF form though. We were absolutely open about why the schools were placed in the order they were, explained what about each school was a really good match for our son, and emphasised that a large part of his need was the standard of teaching only to be found in a grammar school with the supporting academic evidence.

Hope this helps, good luck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

1. School Support - we have two letters from his school (head & class teacher) which we will include.
Good.
2. Doctors/Consultants Support - should we include this sort of documentation, I would think the panel would not want to question our Ex Circ. being factual and don't want to clutter the supporting academic docs.
You really should provide this sort of evidence to back up any relevant extenuating circumstances.
3. 11+ Tutor - Tutor will support us by means of a letter regarding our DS and his ability (she is also an employed teacher locally) is this a good/bad idea?
We don't recommend this.
4. 11+ Practise Papers - should we include some of the practise papers that our DS did before the 11+, he performed well in all of these but don't want to include if they will be viewed negatively.
No, but take them with you to the hearing, and if anyone asks "How did he get on with any practice papers?" you could just mention that they're available if the panel wish to see them. They're unlikely to be viewed as 'independent' evidence, however.
5. Anything else of relevance that we might have overlooked?
I can only make reference again to the Q&As, B11! :)
Does it matter if we are appealing to a second choice GS as detailed on our CIF? We have a very valid reason for choosing to appeal here and not our first choice, should I detail this information on our appeal form? (not sure if the school will know they were our second choice school)
Dutchy has dealt with this, and I've not much to add.

I don't believe it should matter, but as you have good reasons, you've nothing to fear. Personally I wouldn't include in your written submission any explanation why you're not appealing for your 1st preference - the focus should be on the school you're appealing for.
I'd wait for the hearing, and see what questions are asked.

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Fredup

Post by Fredup »

Thank you so much both, Dutchy005 and Etienne for the replies to my questions. Most helpful once again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now