13+ appeal - help on bullying issues

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
beanie

Re: 13+ appeal - help on bullying issues

Post by beanie »

My DS passed the 13+ entrance test but not in the top rankings required, therefore is on the waiting list. Can you advise I still need academic evidence in my appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a. This section deals with appeals where you are addressing the issue of non-qualification in the 11+ entry test(s) for grammar school.

b. It might also be relevant if the 11+ score was one of the admission criteria, and the score achieved was not high enough to gain a place. If you have evidence of very high academic ability – and possibly of extenuating circumstances too – then, in addition to any arguments dealing with the oversubscription part of the appeal, you may wish to put forward a case that your child was expected to perform even more highly in the 11+ than he/she did.
This applies equally to 13+.

You can see from the above that it's not obligatory where ranking is concerned. However, if - I stress 'if'! - you feel there are grounds for arguing that he was expected to score even more highly than he did, then your case could be much stronger, depending on the academic evidence.
Etienne
beanie

Post by beanie »

Received confirmation of an appeal date yesterday. Letter and relevant documents have been sent out this afternoon.

I sent 9 pages of various bullying reports/letters and not much academic evidence (progress report with grades but not projected level KS3). I'm still waiting to hear from the Head of Year for the projected level, also have asked the Maths teacher to write up a brief report since DS is one of 4 in his class to get "special lesson" to do extra works on UKMT (I did mention this in the letter of representation). Not such whether these reports will be ready for Easter. Are there any documents I can provide to show achievement?

Appeal in 3 weeks time - fingers crossed.
beanie

Post by beanie »

Hi there,

Sorry for the long silence as I was away. We won the appeal :D !

We won on the first stage - " the school could admit an additional child to Y9 without causing prejudice" - Also there were no other appeals being heard for Y9.

There was no question on Grammar school ability / academic standard since DS passed the entrance exam (on the waiting list).

The appeal panel did not need to move on to the second stage - balancing the arguments (i.e bullying issues). The panel did ask a lot of questions about bullying during the hearing.