Is a parent's disability sufficient grounds for an appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pradeb

Is a parent's disability sufficient grounds for an appeal?

Post by pradeb »

Hi

My DS passed 11+ but has not got into my first choice school. I'm partially sighted so my choice of school was not only based on the school's results but primarily on the logistics of DS getting to and from school - I don't drive and so DS would either have to walk or get the bus to school. The school he's been offered is 3 miles away, the nearest school bus stop being a 30 minute walk away. Whatsmore, it would mean that he won't be able to participate in any extracurriculars as I can't pick him up.

My main argument in my appeal is therefore the logistical problems for a disabled parent. I was wondering whether anyone knows if the appeal panel takes a parent's disability into consideration.

Thanks.
Etienne

Re: Is a parent's disability sufficient grounds for an appea

Post by Etienne »

My main argument in my appeal is therefore the logistical problems for a disabled parent. I was wondering whether anyone knows if the appeal panel takes a parent's disability into consideration.
Yes, there's no reason at all why this can't be part of your case.

It would help if you provide the panel with evidence of your disability.

Panels are free to consider any points put to them, but it's up to each panel to decide how much weight to give to any particular argument.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now