Post by Etienne »

Usually, yes.

Good luck!
Etienne
smartie

Re: appeal and evidence

Post by smartie »

Dear Etienne,
I am having a bit of a dilema and wondered if you could advise. I spoke to the person investigating my case for me today, who explained that she needs to contact the school governing body with my complaint and to also to obtain a copy of the clerk's notes. This would not normally be a problem, but I know a number of the governing body ( also the school's appeal clerk) and I feel uncomfortable about them first know that I'm complaining and secondly that my daughter has Aspergers. I feel that I'm having to sell my soul (or my dd's!) for the price of justice. I am particulary upset as I have not felt able to tell my dd of her condition yet, though now it seems that more and more people need to know in order for me to complain. Also whilst relaying the information to the ombudsman I realised that it was actually 3 seperate correspondances that were not forwarded to the panel. Do I let this go for the sake of my privacy, or do I carry on?
Smartie
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Speaking as the mother of an Asperger's girl, I can assure you that the best thing you can do is tell your daughter. Asperger's is nothing to be ashamed of. Yes, there are going to be some things that are harder for her then neurotypical children, but if she is anything like my daughter, she is going to be able to do lots of things that NT people can not do. ASD is not all bad, it has its great sides.

I am curious as to how you were able to get her a diagnosis without her realizing that she was being tested for it. We were fully open with my daughter before testing beause we knew her well enough to know she would want to know why she was having all of the tests.

Your daughter is the same person with or without the label Asperger's. If anyone who works at the school or is part of the governing body thinks of her differently because of the diagnosis that is their problem. What you are likely to find is that the majority of adults are wonderful about it and a minority are just ignorant.

Also, I think it is your daughter's best interests for any school she is going to to know about her ASD. This is not for you to be able to complain, but to be able to make sure that they will make reasonable adjustments for her as necessary. You will find that many SENCO's will be open to you about the experiance the school ahs with people with ASD and will be able to let you know whether the school is the right fit for your child. For example, we had 2 grammer schools to choose from, but only one has a large amount of experiance with ASD. We only put 1 grammer school on the CAF because this was more about making sure my child was in an environment that was right for her.

My child is fully open about her asperger's and is not embarrased about it. It just is what it is, neither good nor bad, no different than the colour of her eyes.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As regards the privacy issue, I agree with Atilla's wise words.

If it's of any comfort, I think it's unlikely your personal information will be passed on to all the governors. The investigator will write to the chair of governors as the person ultimately responsible. The headteacher and clerk are likely to be involved too, but the only concern of these three people will be whether correct procedures were followed, not poring over the details of your case.

As for 'complaining', I would sympathise with any admission authority on the receiving end of malicious, unjustified or unreasonable complaints - but the points you are raising are perfectly legitimate and reasonable.

The only concern I would have is that ombudsman investigations can take a long time, causing uncertainty and stress.

However, if there has been an injustice, I do believe it's important to bring it to light, otherwise nothing will ever improve.
Etienne
smartie

Post by smartie »

Thank you for both your replies, I would say firstly that I am not ashamed of my dd having Aspergers, but finding the right time to tell her or how to tell her, when we have only just had a diagnosis has been difficult. She did not realise she was being testing for anything as such, but rather that we were trying to find a way to help her with some difficulties she was facing. I know that any school that she attends need to know her difficulties on a need to know basis, but I'm not comfortable at the moment with others knowing until I have found the right time to explain things to my dd.
Smartie
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I would suggest you look on the NAS web page. Here is a link to their page on advice to telling your child.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/a ... nosis.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also have a hotline if you want to speak to someone about it.
smartie

Post by smartie »

Thanks Atilla
They have helped me before when I was trying to get a diagnosis. Will contact them again.
Smartie
smartie

ombudsman

Post by smartie »

Finally had a response to my complaint from back in March! The school have agreed to another appeal, however by the time it takes place my dd will have started her first term at her new school. I'm glad that it has been acknowledgement that the appeal process was incorrect, but it's too little too late now! Not sure what to do,but at least things will be fairer for next years appeals.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I think I would recommend you accept the offer of a new appeal without telling your daughter.

If you win, you don't have to take up the place, but would then have time to consider it and discuss it with your daughter in a way that doesn't feel like a sudden change out of her control* - it would be nice to have the choice of staying where she is or moving into the new school.

* I know sudden changes of plans can be more stressful for those on the aspergers scale - many of my friends have it to a lesser or greater degree. One friend comes up with wonderful new ideas that he's been thinking of for some time - then suddenly presents them 2 or 3 mins before the rest of us have to put them into action, with the result that some of us get far more stressed than is reasonable.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I said it would take a long time! :)

I'm inclined to agree with Capers. Personally I too would go ahead with a re-hearing.

Easy for me to say that, and there may be downsides.

How do you feel about going through the stress and uncertainty of another appeal? (It doesn't get any easier!)

Although you will want to shield your daughter as much as possible, the re-hearing would be for immediate entry, so - if successful - you would probably be expected to respond promptly to any offer. (The law is not entirely clear about the time scale, but I have known some schools take the view that the place is 'not required' if it has not been taken up within a week or two.)

Whatever you decide, smartie, well done for taking a stand - and being vindicated.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now