Further Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Re: Further Appeal

Post by capers123 »

This does sound rather ghastly.

Whilst it won't help you, one thing that you could do is write to members of the Education Select Committee at parliament. They're non-partisan so are likely to take interest in your case irrespective of what party flag they were elected under. If you happen to be in favour of one party, you cold select a member of the committee who belongs to it - or select your nearest. Also contact your local MP (again, you may not have voted for them, but they now represent you).

Why bother? Well, they are quite influential, and can influence matters in the future. Let's hope something happens (and I'm writing as a panel member - injustices need correcting).
Capers
Alex

Post by Alex »

This is so awful it is scarcely believable. Have you asked the EFA whether it can now deal with your complaint about the appeal directly on its own behalf rather than trying to make a decision based on the Adjudicator's findings?

In the absence of any other avenues I would definitely contact your MP and try capers' suggestion too. Who incidentally deals with complaints about the YPLA/EFA and do they have any idea of what they are doing....?
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Forgive me as I am probably showing complete ignorance, but are any of the bodies that you are complaining about subject to judicial review? A judicial review is not an appeal, it looks at the process followed by a public body to get to a decision. It doesn't change the decision, but it makes the body look at it again and follow the right process. So it can result in the same decision. I am not sure what the status of the EFA is or whether making them review their revised decision will help, but it may be worth a try.
If it is a runner, it may be worth writing to threaten that, even if ultimately you decide not to issue the judicial review proceedings.
http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/you-and-the ... ial-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warning - i think you have very limited timelimits and cost may make it a non runner
MaysMum

Post by MaysMum »

Hello to all those who are interested and many thanks for your support - it has been a bit of a fraught time, to say the least, but am extremely touched by people who have taken the time to give advice and so on. Anyway, the latest instalment: have just received a response from EFA Chief Executive, who "had no choice but to take the further step of reversing our revised decision to take us back to the original position". Apologies, admittance of mistakes made, stating that complaints handling was a new task for the YPLA/EFA staff last year.
Onwards and upwards.
Good luck to you all - wouldn't wish such a tortuous journey on any parent.