Etienne please read!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

claireabel

Etienne please read!

Post by claireabel »

hey etienne,

we are going to appeal tomorrow and i would love to send u some details as i very much respect ur opinions. (as well as others on this site)

please could u let me know how to send this information to u as i dont want to post it on forums at this stage?

the appeal takes place tomorrow, sorry its short notice. :(

in need of reassurance!

claire xx
Sally-Anne

Re: Etienne please read!

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am not sure if Etienne is around at the moment, but there is further information here which may be of help: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sally-Anne
claireabel

Post by claireabel »

ty sally ann, however it says to not send details of appeal to that link but only specific questions :( i think i am after reassurance...are u able to help? or anyone else!

claire xx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If by reassurance, you mean: "Do you think we have done enough to win?", I am afraid that it is impossible to judge. The only people who can judge that are the three panel members.

If you mean: "Have we got our case right?", then it is best to post a short summary of it here, leaving out any confidential information. That can be sent to the AppealsBox, as per the advice on the link. We can then advise on whether there are any fundamental errors or problems.

S-A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, claireabel. :)

Sally-Anne has answered as I would have done.

Good luck for tomorrow!
Etienne
claireabel

Post by claireabel »

ty all so much for ur help, i have sent our script for tomorrow to the private in box as i did not know how to summarise it! if u are able to and wish to post to help others please feel free :)

im off to say my prayers and sleep if i am able!

ty again u are amazing ppl :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear claireabel

Broadly speaking, you are on the right lines.

I would have liked to see more emphasis on reasons for wanting a place at this specific school, just in case you were to lose the 'admission arrangements argument' (which I'm in no way pre-judging).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a very complex case, and I'm concerned about the length of time it could take. "Not my problem," you might think. "I'm entitled to a fair hearing." However,
  • (1) I've no idea what sort of schedule the panel are working to, but if they have only 30 minutes or so to hear the case, and there are other parents waiting, they could be put in a very difficult situation.
    (2) It's a good tactic to make things as easy as possible for the panel, to keep them 'on side' and not to alienate them!

Anything you can do to shorten the presentation of your case, without sacrificing any of your key arguments, would be a shrewd move.

You've put enormous effort into this, and I'm full of admiration for you.

Must go now (I'm already late for work). All the very best for your hearing.
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:... I'm concerned about the length of time it could take. "Not my problem," you might think. "I'm entitled to a fair hearing." However,
  • (1) I've no idea what sort of schedule the panel are working to, but if they have only 30 minutes or so to hear the case, and there are other parents waiting, they could be put in a very difficult situation.
    (2) It's a good tactic to make things as easy as possible for the panel, to keep them 'on side' and not to alienate them!
I'm a panel member (not, I should add, on your panel), and don't get to see the moderator box contents. However, to add to Etienne's comments:

Length of time / schedule. It could be the case that the appeals are already running late when you go in. My panels never try to hurry parents along, but if they start 'going in circles' we would gently find if they have anything new to add to their case. I have known individual appeals overrun by more than 1 hour - not always complex ones, either. On occasion our clerk has suggested to parents queuing outside that they may consider popping off for a coffee. We do try to make up time by loosing our own tea/coffee breaks, cutting lunch to the absolute minimum, though that in turn could risk us concentrating less well.

To me, the ideal 'complex' appeal is one where all the points are listed in the paperwork, so we can spend as much time as we need reading it (and making our own notes) at home before the event. The presentation on the day just reprises the major points to emphasis them and then the questions to both admission authority & parents clarify matters.

If you don't keep it short, it doesn't matter - you won't be 'penalised' for over-running.

Good luck.
Capers
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Just wanted to say good luck Clairabel, hope all goes well.
Charl39
stillwaiting

Post by stillwaiting »

Hope tomorrow goes well Clairabel, everything crossed for you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now