Ok- we have decided to appeal. Grateful for any thoughts.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Ok- we have decided to appeal. Grateful for any thoughts.

Post by katel »

As some may know, my son failed his 11+ spectacularly.

After much consideration, we have decided to appeal. We are aware that the chances of success are vanishingly small, and we are in the fortunate position that the school he will be going to is OK. But we are going to give it a shot.

We have no extenuating circumstances at all. There appears to be no explanation for why, on the day he did so badly. He was expected to pass, he was perfectly well, not particularly nervous, finished the paper and so on.

So what we intend to say is simply something along the lines of "We are fortunate to have two good schools in this town, and we are confident that our son will do well in either. However, his academic record seems to indicate that he is better suited to the grammar school. As you will see from the supporting material supplied by his school, he was working at 5c at the end of year 5, currently working at 5A , and will be taking the
optional level 6 paper for literacy.

We have no idea why he did not perform well on the day of the test- all we can say about that is that it seems to have been a bad day at the office! His head teacher is equally baffled and fully supports our appeal. Had he just missed the pass mark, we would have accepted the result, but he missed the target so spectacularly that the result really looks like an anomaly. We would be very grateful if you would consider granting our appeal.[ It does seem as if the sorting hat got it wrong on this occasion!] (. Probably won't say that last bit!)"

Our supporting material will be a letter from the school- it will be very positive, and will be written by a Head who has done this before and who is very supportive, so we have no worries there.

Any thoughts? I am aware that it's a bit sparse, but I can't see any purpose in padding it out. We really have nothing else to say that I can think of!
zeinab

Re: Ok- we have decided to appeal. Grateful for any thoughts

Post by zeinab »

I would go for it. DS passed grammar school exam, but not offered a place. We hope he'll get place in the second round of offers.

You have nothing to lose Katel. Best of luck & remember whatever the outcome your child with your love & support will do well. :D
Last edited by zeinab on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Sorry to hear about your unexpected results. We are in a similar position with a similarly "vanishingly small" chance of success at appeal but, like you, are going for it anyway, if only to ensure that we have no niggling 'if only' feelings later on.

We are just getting together as much academic material as possible - extenuating circumstances don't count for anything if you can't convince the panel of academic ability.

Best of luck!
katel

Post by katel »

What are you using as academic evidence? After reading the appeal section on here, we've come to the conclusion that the only academic evidence that seems to carry any weight is thqt provided by the school. So we're planning on taking his books with us and telling the panel they are thereof they want to see them, but only submitting the school's report with NC levels and so on.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

The school have provided me with all her SATs levels (and predictions for the end of this year), a current reading level, what 'group' she is in for maths and english, stated what she's on the Gifted and Talented register for.

We're at a state comp, so I've got no CAT levels and the headmaster is unable to specifically recommend her for grammar because of the ideological makeup of our LEA :( However, he says that he can say that he fully supports our appeal. And her year 6 teacher doesn't feel under any constraints and is also providing us with a letter!
katel

Post by katel »

My ds's state primary does CATS- are you sure yours doesn't? I thought they all did.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

katel wrote:My ds's state primary does CATS- are you sure yours doesn't? I thought they all did.
Well, the deputy head appeared to have no idea what I was talking about! :D I will check up with another member of staff now though!
katel

Post by katel »

Do. They can be done online and you can get the results on the spot. It would certainly be a useful thing to add to your evidence.
Doodlesmum

Post by Doodlesmum »

zeinab wrote:I would go for it. My son passed 2 grammar school exams, but got offered 3rd choice comp - which is a very good school. we'll accept & hope that he will get place in the second round of offers for both grammar.

You have nothing to lose Katel. Best of luck & remember whatever the outcome your child with your love & support will do well. :D
I was interested in your comment regarding the second round of offers. Is this normal for all Grammer schools or just some? I am also strongly considering appeal but haven't had the letter yet from the school with the results so unsure whether it will be worth my while but would like to know if there is a second round or even a waiting list.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not all schools do CATs (and of those that do, only some opt for the online tests).
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now