Advice Please ... Agony

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SUpple

Re: Advice Please ... Agony

Post by SUpple »

Biddendummum,

That post has made me emotional. I know you didn't get the end result you wanted, but your cheery optimism and unfaltering pride and resolve will take you and your family very far.

Enjoy your well-deserved champagne.
:D
Amber

Post by Amber »

What a refreshing post, BM. I can relate to what you say..and you are so wise to give thanks for all the positives in your life. We went through something a bit similar a couple of years ago and it has had a happy outcome...but in the meantime I never stopped being grateful for, and proud of, 3 happy (very very important)and healthy children. How fantastic to celebrate what you have - there are many who could take a leaf out of your book. Often those with the most don't realise what they have and moreover, spend time complaining and resenting others. I hope that champagne tastes good tonight; very best wishes.
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Wow, what an amazing post, what an amazing person and you have an amazing family. That is all I can say, your DD will do so well in her life if she has some of your positive attitude. Wishing you all the very best, and thank you for such a beautiful post, reminds us all that it's not the school that has the most impact on our children. It's easy to forget at these stressful times (I say after having an appeal today!)

Thanks again :)
Charl39
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Biddendenmum what a very wise person you are and how lucky your children are. I have been doing university visits with one of my children and have found myself looking around at all the young people attending their post offer days , they are from all walks of life ,different parts of the country different races and they are all in the same situation now.Who knows what type of school they came from and it no longer matters because they have won their place to study as a result of their own hard work.Your daughter will be sitting the very same GCSE'S and A'levels as her siblings and those in Grammar schools., and with a loving and supportive mum like you her future looks very bright.
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Totally agree with everything that everyone has already said, including the getting emotional!

Like Charl39, we too have had our appeal today (partly I think why I am so emotional, all that pent up stress pouring out) and if our outcome is not successful I really hope that we can move on with the same positive attitude that Biddendenmum has shown
:D
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hi BM your post i am sure has put it all into perspective for a lot of people.
All of my sons have have different experiences of secondary school - the two eldest who have left both now went to university with decent A levels but one went to superselective locally and the other local comp! I guess my point is that so often if the background support of parents (and a few decent teachers who enjoy their work and the kids thrown in :lol: ) is there, it is far more important to whether it is a 'grammar' school or not.
you have the right frame of mind to help your DC suceed wherever she is IMHO. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

That brought tears to my eyes, Biddendenmum.

There are more than three stars in your family!

Am full of admiration - here's a virtual toast to you all! :D
Etienne
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

ditto to all the above
Alex44

Post by Alex44 »

What an inspiring post Biddendenmum, without doubt your daughter will blossom and thrive with your support wherever she is educated.
We went to our son's allocated school induction evening last night, having still not heard the outcome of our appeal 13 days ago. Some of the year 7 children presenting their experiences and talking to new parents and children were ones which had left our primary school last year. Their confidence, enjoyment and achievement was obvious and truly celebrated by the school and I genuinely believe my son too will thrive there. In fact, there he would certainly be a big fish in a smaller pond rather than potentially lost in the crowd!
In the highly unlikely event our appeal is successful, I will then have to confuse and disorientate my son who is unaware we have appealed and I honestly don't know how he will feel as we have been so positive to him about the allocated school in the face of his initial deep disappointment.
Enjoy your very well deserved champagne.