Stage 1 Appeal Advice, etc.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Part 1 Appeal Advice

Post by Etienne »

I got the info from this article
The Appeals Code in force at the time was the 2003 version, but some of the points in the article make good sense and are still valid.
He also wouldn't recommend hiring a lawyer: "It really does not help. The panel will be much more sympathetic to parents than to professionals."
Absolutely!
He advises questioning them in exacting detail.
I have some reservations about this - it could so easily descend to the level of 'nitpicking', which will alienate the panel. On the other hand, probing questions about significant matters would be entirely reasonable.

As discussed in another thread, it may be necessary to ask a lot of questions if the panel appear not to be doing their job properly (by failing to examine the school's case).
The article is from 2004
The net capacity guidance was issued in August 2002, and therefore pre-dates the article.
I could bring it up and then the school rep could say "We have no legal requirement to abide by this now we are academy convertor" May they say this Etienne?
Yes, they may!
Do you think I may be cheeky to say that they are using this 30 pupil benchmark when their PAN is 26?
Not necessarily. You could ask them what was the last detailed analysis of their rooms, with measurements and the number of basic workplaces per room. It's quite likely the only evidence they will be able to point to is the last net capacity assessment!

You could also ask how closely the capacity figure written into their funding agreement matches the net capacity shown in their last available net capacity assessment.
Also this bit has me thinking, as I wanted to make a point about the extra 45 6th Formers causing predjudice. This quote may have disolved that argument.
I think it's still valid to ask whether they have chosen to expand their sixth form - and are now complaining about the total number of pupils as a result! However, this is a 'whole school' argument - and your main focus at stage one really ought to be on class sizes in year 8.

We need to wait until you get a copy of the school's case, so that you can see whether it has been updated since a year ago. This may shed some light on how best to approach stage one.
Etienne
inti

Re: Stage 1 Appeal Advice

Post by inti »

Hi Etienne,

Just doing my homework and trying to find the most significant questions which will put a slight 'dent' (as you recommend) in the schools Part 1 case.
If I can't find 2 - 3 really good questions to ask them I will end up blabbering. I want my questioning to be relevant and concise and leave it at that. However, this does require plenty of research and the ability to ask a question in a polite yet probing way. I have little experience on that count. Thank you for your valuable support on this!

Will get my Notice/Letter of Appeal done (with appropriate evidence) and wait to see if the Governors have a new statement since their school staus change. Would be interesting to compare and contrast to see what may or may not have changed.

Thanks again. You really did not have to reply to these threads. I was happy to wait til after this weekend and Bank Holiday's you know? I appreciate that you have done. Please do put your feet up now. Speak soon.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Inti - don't get too distracted by this!

The main focus should be on your own case for why YOUR child should get any place - no point proving there's space for someone else's child to get it!
inti

Post by inti »

Guest55 wrote:Inti - don't get too distracted by this!

The main focus should be on your own case for why YOUR child should get any place - no point proving there's space for someone else's child to get it!
Hey Guest55,

Thanks for your contribution. Maybe I am feeling that as I was a teacher for a time at this school that I can make a convincing Part 1 case? Double-edged sword sometimes being in this position?

I intend to focus on Part 2 now. Thanks to Etienne's advice, I am sure I can communicate my child's specific needs in the best possible way.

Thanks!
inti

Must In-Year Appeal grounds match Admissions Criteria?

Post by inti »

Must In-Year Appeal grounds match a schools specific Admissions Criteria?

I would like any clarification on this point. Appeal is for a Year 8 place for September.
I have lots of evidence to send off. All of it is to do with the suitability of the school to my child. I have made concise bullet point statements and cross-referenced the evidence to each.
I can't meet the religious criteria fully, but have added evidence of my voluntary work at a faith school and local scout group. Child currently attends a private school with strong Christian ethos.

Thank you.
Etienne

Re: Must In-Year Appeal grounds match Admissions Criteria?

Post by Etienne »

Must In-Year Appeal grounds match a schools specific Admissions Criteria?
No - parents are free to put forward any reasons they choose.

Likewise, panels are not limited to the admission criteria - they are free to give weight to whatever they see fit.
Etienne
inti

Re: Stage 1 Appeal Advice, etc.

Post by inti »

Hi Etienne,

Thanks. I should have asked this pretty obvious question ages ago in the thread! Feel a bit of a numpty now!
However, like probably most posters on the forum, we have not eaten supper off our dining table for at least 3 weeks gone, the printer is out of paper and brain is not what it used to be!

Thanks for replying to the thread. :lol:
inti

Post by inti »

Hi Etienne,

I have worked very hard on my appeal and gathered a lot of evidence, especially for part 2. I think that its a convincing case.

However, the deadline was 14th June and I did not send the Notice of Appeal in. Just to recap, this is for an In-Year place.
Thing is, I have had so many things to juggle with at the moment. Looking for work and my parents both ill (cancer) that something had to give. Son, although not completely happy is coping at school. He has 2 weeks left of school anyway, so that is good.

I will try again after September. The schools admissions authority (faith school academy) sets its own hearings.
When I contacted the diocese to obtain the notice of appeal paperwork, they made it clear to me that they have scheduled hearings at differing times of the year. If I were to lodge a Year 8 appeal would they be obliged to arrange a hearing as soon as they receive my appeal? I note that this is the case for LA appeals, how about academies?

Thanks in advance :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If I were to lodge a Year 8 appeal would they be obliged to arrange a hearing as soon as they receive my appeal? I note that this is the case for LA appeals, how about academies?
Academies follow the same rules - they will have 30 school days in which to arrange an in-year hearing.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although you may have missed the deadline, you could try asking whether there's any possibility they could still fit you in (unless of course you prefer to leave it until next term).
Etienne
inti

Post by inti »

Hi Etienne and Mods,

Have pm'ed in the Appeals Box. Just a very small query regarding some guidance notes.

Thanks,
Inti :D