Essex Appeals.... what evidence might impress

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Faithful

Essex Appeals.... what evidence might impress

Post by Faithful »

Hi All,

This is my first post here, but i have been reading all the threads since January. A very big thank you to Etienne, moderators and parents who share their sorrow, joy and ideas. My DS did not pass the essex exams and we were all surprised. He was not sick, he was able to finish all 3 papers(He said he found it easy, but lot of distraction compared to other exams he has written).

Others from his school passed that made it more difficult for him. We went to the school to speak to the Head teacher and they were surprised that he did not make it as well and agreed to help with the appeal. We got all our ideas from this forum, we had all the academic evidence that might impress apart from CATs(that is not done in his school) and the ED phys report.

He is predicted 5a in Maths and 5b in English and Science. certificates, Head teacher Awards, bulletins and articles to show other academic achievements. We had school reports from year 3 to 5 showing well above average and a reading age of 14.3 years. We also had other 11+ results from other boroughs that he has written to show his ability in verbal reasoning(since that is not done in school). He had 408 in one and the pass mark was 360 and he had 234 in the other and the pass mark was 218.

Our reason for wanting a place in this school is their speciality in Maths, which happens to be our DS strength. We had the appeal but it was unsuccessful, we dont know what we may have done wrong. We have another appeal coming up, we just want to do things right. This was written in the decision letter regarding our wanting a place in that school, i quote "The Panel also noted your DS interest in Maths and Music but confirmed that the school does not admit pupils because of an aptitude in either of those subjects"

Please Etienne i dont know if i can email you the decision in the appeal box. I dont think the Panels acted independently or fairly. When we got the appeal papers, they stated our DS position on the waiting list and the Panel compared his scores to the last boy admitted in the decision letter. We would not have gone to the appeal, if he had passed. We went to the appeal to show alternative evidence of his ability and consistent progress, but cannot really say what happened on that exam day.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP PLEASE!!!!!!!
Etienne

Re: Essex Appeals.... what evidence might impress

Post by Etienne »

Very sorry to hear your news, Faithful.

If you would like to send the decision letter to the Appeals Box, we'll take a look.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Faithful

Post by Faithful »

Thank you so much Etienne, will send it now. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think you did anything wrong, Faithful - it looks to me that you were up against a very strict panel, and unfortunately it is not possible to challenge their judgement as such, however strongly we might disagree.

However, I do have some procedural concerns.

1. I see no indication in the decision letter that the panel considered whether the admission arrangements (including the area’s co-ordinated admission arrangements) complied with the mandatory requirements of the School Admissions Code and Part 3 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. If they did indeed fail to do this, it would technically be a breach of the Code.

2. "The Panel also noted your DS interest in Maths and Music but confirmed that the school does not admit pupils because of an aptitude in either of those subjects". The panel was perfectly entitled to decide that your reason was not strong enough to outweigh the prejudice to the school, but I do not see the relevance of their reference to the admission rules. The Code clearly states that the panel must take into account the appellant’s reasons for expressing a preference for the school - but if their response is simply to reject your reason because it is not included within the admission rules, it begs the question 'What then is the point of an appeal?' The panel should judge any reason you put forward on its merits.

3. If the EP report was a significant part of your case, I am surprised to see no mention of it in the decision letter, even allowing for the cursory reference to 'other evidence'.

4. "When we got the appeal papers, they stated our DS position on the waiting list and the Panel compared his scores to the last boy admitted in the decision letter." They are entitled to refer to your son's scores, and those of the last boy admitted. However, the school should not have revealed your son's position on the waiting list, as it is a breach of the Code for the panel to consider this. If the clerk or chair did not intervene at the hearing to point this out, it raises some concerns.

The reference at the end to the YPLA is completely out of date. The EFA took over responsibility for complaints about academy appeals on 1st April.

If you wish to try complaining to the EFA about these matters, you will find guidance here:
http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/co ... -academies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's only fair to caution you, though, that it could be a long drawn out process, with no guarantee about the eventual outcome! The EFA would have to make a judgement not simply about whether there were any procedural errors, but whether those errors were so serious as to cause an injustice.
Etienne
AWorriedfather

Post by AWorriedfather »

Good Morning [1.25 am]
Hi Mangomum, and Watermelon, Firstly Thanks for your kind support and PM lots of encouragement, And also Etienne, moderators and other parents who share in here and provide help and advice Congratulations all of you for your Fantastic hard work Many thank you once again you all are marvellous.

Dear Spatel2 A big well done to you as well and also Congratulations to your DSs &&&& u 2.

Dear Faithful

I am Very sad and so sorry to hear about your news But Thanks for sharing the above info I have a same long
story like you and most likely " Spatel2" [ As like you] I dont think also the Panels was acted independently or fairly in your and my case. I have also concern over the panel's Clark's Independences I've wrote a letter to her with prof of posting through the school address I never get thorough to Clark or get any reply from her. My appeal was heard in a 4/5 stars hotel's room but unsuccessful • Our position was that Ds is a capable student who had performed very well at school. He is on level 6 in maths and level 5 in English and Science. But, his performance was adversely affected due to the circumstances *** and his own medical condition including drugs which he had to take on the morning of the examination.
• Evidence of his academic performance (letter from Head of the year 5 and Head Teacher) and reasons of health (letter from Doctor) were presented for the appeal. But, there is no evidence that these issues were considered. The letter communicating the decision at the Appeals Board vague best.

• We had already informed the school before the examination that Ds has some health issues. But there is no evidence in the Appeal’s Board reply, that this matter was considered despite it being mentioned .

Dear Etienne and Sally-Anne I would like to submit the following:

1 The school presents contradictory information to us in preparing the case which remains unresolved at the time of the appeal, in the cases of ranking
2 His ability and the factors that affected his performance have not been considered.
3 Information requested in preparing the appeal has not been provided.

Based on the above , it is fair to conclude that the decision has already been made about his’s admission and the Appeal’s Board hearing is merely an administrative ritual and is not conducted to hear the case and then make a decision . It is used only to justify the decision already made.

Please Dear All and Etienne can you kindly help.
[ ***] I would like to send you the decision letter to the Appeals Box, if you please take a look many thanks.

Best Regards
Faithful

Post by Faithful »

Dear Etienne, thank you very much for your swift response. I have read and noted your comments, i also appreciate how you highlighted the issues of concern. Thank you also for forwarding an updated address for the next stage in our matter.

I will go through the link you have provided and i will update you as i go along.

Once again my sincere appreciation for your time.
Faithful

Post by Faithful »

Hi Aworriedfather, i am also sorry to hear that you are experiencing an unsuccessful outcome so far. All i can say is i hope for the best for you and your son.
AWorriedfather

Post by AWorriedfather »

Hi Faithful, Good Morning

Thanks for the Best Wishes

I Hope to every things turns out better for you and for your son to.
Genuine success comes only to those who are ready for it never gave up ever.

Thanks and Good Luck
Faithful

Post by Faithful »

Hello,

We had our second appeal today, I just feel so relieved. Will it affect the decision, if they know you are appealing or have appealed to another school? They did ask us, if the school was our first choice. It is so hard with the panels, you can never really tell what the outcome maybe.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Hello Faithful

I also appealed for 2 schools but was only asked at one of them about position on the CAF etc. In the case of that appeal the school was placed 1st, however we were still unsuccessful in our appeal.
Clarabelle