Glos appeal decision - what information am I entitled to?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
neveragain*

Re: Glos appeal decision - what information am I entitled to

Post by neveragain* »

I certainly know of a boy who was going through the appeal process had score 106.5 and appealing to all 3 boys grammars. Apparently tommies remarked his paper ( how can. Computer mark wrong?) and an extra point was added and he got in to crypt a few weeks ago without needing to continue appeal because of the str remark. He is very bright and able and had extenuating serious situation but of course that was irrelevant due to remark. Seems odd.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, TG and Woody.

1. There's no mention of a threshold or qualifying score in the admissions policy, although they use the word 'eligible' (without defining it!).

2. As a separate issue, I read in the admissions policy:  
 A decision by the school to refuse a place carries with it a right of appeal. 
Appeals against non selection will be held in accordance 
with the mandatory School Admissions Code of Practice* regulations that are in force at the time.  
The School remains responsible for the Formal Appeals process.  
Appeals against non‐selection are heard by an independent appeals committee.  

*This is incorrect - I assume they mean the School Admission Appeals Code.

Do you have any additional guidance that you were given about their appeals process? If so, I would be interested to see it.

If the appeal panel was only ever going to consider 'non-selection', what would happen if - after proper consideration of alternative academic evidence - they decided to accept as academically suitable more children than the school has vacancies for? Would there be another appeal to deal with oversubscription/prejudice (which seems improbable this late in the summer term)? Or is the panel, in effect, limiting the number of children they are prepared to deem academically suitable, irrespective of alternative academic evidence?
Etienne
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

morning Etienne
I have sent some further documents to the Appeals Box

regards
TG
Woody551

Post by Woody551 »

Hi Etienne,

More info sent to the appeals box.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, TG and Woody.

The more I hear about it, the more I wonder whether this process is, in effect, an internal review than a statutory appeal.
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

neveragain* wrote:I certainly know of a boy who was going through the appeal process had score 106.5 and appealing to all 3 boys grammars. Apparently tommies remarked his paper ( how can. Computer mark wrong?) and an extra point was added and he got in to crypt a few weeks ago without needing to continue appeal because of the str remark. He is very bright and able and had extenuating serious situation but of course that was irrelevant due to remark. Seems odd.
Not at all strange. All the schools I know of in Gloucestershire will, as a standard procedure, re-mark the papers by hand in the case of an appeal.

Very, very occasionally the hand marking will be different to the computerised version - if a child was marking the box so faintly that the computer couldn't pick it up. In the last three years I've not heard any appeals where there's been a difference. If it was a borderline score and the re-mark found one extra before standardisation, taking them into the admission zone, they wouldn't come up as an appeal as the school must allow a place.

It can also be that the computer has given one extra mark, but if the child already has a place that would not be withdrawn (primarily because the paper wouldn't have been marked by hand!).

It is very rare, but does happen.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now