Glos appeal decision - what information am I entitled to?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
totally_gutted

Glos appeal decision - what information am I entitled to?

Post by totally_gutted »

Etienne/SallyAnne

Our recent non-qualification appeal was unsuccessful.
The decision letter is pretty sparse on reason(s), quote "They (the panel) accepted, however, that your grounds were insufficient to override the criteria for a place"

The letter states various pieces of evidence that they considered, however it does not mention what I consider to be a significant piece of the supporting evidence that we submitted.

What additional information can I ask the clerk for about how they reached their decision? I assume they will tell me how many appeals were upheld, but are they obliged to provide any other information, or can I request certain details under DP or FOI Acts?

I will send a copy of the letter to the appeals box.

TG
Last edited by totally_gutted on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neveragain*

Re: Glos appeal decision - what information am I entitled to

Post by neveragain* »

TG - I still can't see why with the evidence you had that the grounds could be insufficient for the place, it would be interesting to see which appeals were won and try to see the reasoning. It must be a hard job sitting on a panel - I have thought about it as it seems a useful thing to volunteer for. Capers? Worth the heartbreak? Hope you find some clarity TG - how are you feeling? Pm me?
Woody551

Post by Woody551 »

Hi TG,

I have been lurking and following your case for a while. We too were unsuccessful with our crypt appeal despite building what we believed was a strong case from all of the excellent help and advice found on here.

We have had the letter from the clerk with the panels reasons, and would be interested to see if yours is similar. Please feel free to pm me and go through each others cases.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'm not on the panel for that school, and have no knowledge of those appeals.

The problem that parents who have not won have is that they do not, and can not, know what strength or evidence the other appeals put forward. The only people who can find that out is the Secretary of State / EFA (the ombudsman for non academies).

Neveragain (and everyone else) - please do volunteer. It can be heartbreaking at times, if you have appeals that you really want to allow but where the prejudice is just against the parents/child. It can also be fulfilling, knowing that you've made the right decision. PM me for more details.
Capers
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Did extenuating circumstances get a look in TG?
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Panel chair did ask in very general terms about extenuating circs both on test day or around october

I mentioned something which was going on on the day, which DS was obvoiusly aware of during the test because it was one of the first things he asked about when I picked him up.

The decision letter doesn't mention this
ariel

Post by ariel »

Hi again TG.....Good for you for not just accepting the letter at face value. Keep us all updated with your progress when/if you lodge a complaint!
The best of luck, ariel x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

TG

I'm sorry but I've withdrawn part of my last post because I've just realised the school was not up to its admission number before the appeals.

Do you happen to know roughly how many appeals there were? I'm guessing that there were more appeals than vacancies, in which case one would normally have expected a case for prejudice to be included.

Am I right in thinking that there is no minimum qualifying score (establishing that someone is 'suitable' for grammar school)? - I can't see mention of one in the admissions policy.

You are certainly entitled to ask under FOI for the number of successful appeals. Whether you can get the scores of successful appellants is more doubtful and might depend on the numbers involved. (The lower the number, the more likely it is that the release of this personal information could breach the Data Protection Act.)
Etienne
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Hi Etienne
There were 53 appeals logged, I have e-mailed the admissions officer to ask how many were upheld and it was 22.
They had offered 106 places prior to appeals. PAN is 112. Last year they admitted a total of 118 including appeals (14 upheld out of 31 held)

Their qualifying score this year was 107.5, and in the first round of allocations they offered 98 places. They then appear to have had some sort of review and offered places to those who scored 106.5 or more.

Thank you for your reply

TG
Last edited by totally_gutted on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woody551

Post by Woody551 »

Etienne,

Apolgies for jumping on TG's toes.

There were 53 appeals.

As far as I know there was no minimum qualifying score. They had a threshold score, but the letter that accompanied the result stated that despite not achieving the threshold score it did not consitute an offer nor rejection of a place.

Unlike other Grammar schools which were clear that not obtaining the qualifying score meant you could not be considered for admission.