Advice Needed for Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Anxious Mother

Advice Needed for Appeal

Post by Anxious Mother »

My son failed the 11+ (127NVR, 120VR, 96M) previous to this he sat the Grammar School entrance exam and narrowly missed entry by a few points. The teacher at that school told me he was Grammar school material and she felt he would do extremely well there and urged me to appeal. I am worried about his low maths score but the Grammar school teacher says that although that's his weak area the school offers extra maths clubs etc and I would be willing to get him some extra tuition also.

I was told that the appeal probably wouldn't be until late June but I have now had a letter telling me it's this Friday :shock: which is only 1 week away and to be honest am completely unprepared as to what to take, what to say or what to do! I have asked his form tutor for a letter of support which he is willing to do. I have his COG results for year 5 and 6 and obviously his school reports. I have read the appeals Q&A section but am still confused as to what information I should be going in there with. I think I may be panicking slightly and not thinking straight at the moment, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :?:
Etienne

Re: Advice Needed for Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Dear Anxious Mother

Is this a foundation/VA school appeal, or an LA appeal?

I don't understand why you have only a week's notice of the date. The code of practice says:
Parents should receive written notice at least 14 days (10 working days) before the date their appeal will be heard, unless they have agreed to a shorter period. If they do agree to a shorter period, parents should confirm this with the clerk to the panel in writing.
Did you waive your rights?

Have you received all the papers for the appeal (a copy of the authority's case and of your own)? These should normally be sent out approx. one week before the hearing.

Have another look at the Q&As B11. Which bits are unclear?

Regards
Etienne
Anxious Mother

Advice Re Appeal

Post by Anxious Mother »

Dear Etienne

This is an LEA appeal. I telephoned them last Wednesday and told them of my intention to appeal and asked what the process was. I was told to write them a letter, not necessarily outlining the reasons for the appeal, and then further information would be sent to me advising me what to do. I then received a letter on Saturday with the LEAs statement, my letter and a date for the appeal, this Friday. No I did not waive my rights -I didn't know I could.

I will go through the Q&A section again - thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Anxious Mother

If you feel you need more time to prepare, ring the authority tomorrow and tell them you would like a fortnight's notice as indicated in the code of practice.

The panel are meant to have the opportunity to study in advance your reasons for appeal and any supporting evidence.

It certainly isn't fair on you. If they insist on going ahead with the appeal at such short notice, I feel sure the ombudsman would order a re-hearing if you are unsuccessful and choose to complain.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now