Appeal decision letter - Trafford

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
overanxious

Re: Appeal decision letter - Trafford

Post by overanxious »

Hi, I've finally got the clerk's notes and wanted to ask a few questions.

Most of the notes are an explanation of the appeal process, and a summary of the appeal proceedings i.e. "any queries made of the Assistant Headteacher, by the appellants is listed overleaf". The notes on what was said are brief but accurate.

Then the letter simply has a 'delete as appropriate' (it actually says this) section for "Reasons":

"Had/had not provided compelling evidence to warrant the candidate's admission.
Had/had not provided compelling evidence that the Candidate had underperformed in the entrance examination or that the Candidate had underperformed in the entrance examination." (sic)

"Had" has been struck out in the first statement. The second has no strike out of anything.

Then it simply says:

Decision:
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No

I thought that the notes would contain some hint of what was actually discussed after we left the room :? Or have I totally misunderstood it?

Can't be bothered to be coy: we had an EP report that gave her a verbal comp. of 99% (I know there are confidence intervals to consider! :lol: ) PR at 90%, Working Mem 91%, Processing speed 88%, and Full scale of 98%. I thought there might be a useful comment at least on how much weight, if any, they gave those figures, for any Trafford parents thinking of going down this route in the future. But all there is is a note that we "referred to Ed. Psy comments"

Any thoughts? TIA :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Personally I don't find the clerk's notes, as described, satisfactory.

My impression of ombudsman investigations was that they would normally expect some sort of explanation of how the panel arrived at their decision, starting (ideally) with a summary by the chair of the key points to be considered. The EFA is a new body, dealing with academies, but one would hope they too would want to be reassured that the panel gave proper consideration to all the evidence, and that the process leading to the final decision can be clearly understood.

For any investigation to prove a negative (i.e. that the panel didn't give proper consideration to all the evidence, or that the process leading up to the decision wasn't satisfactory) won't be easy; but to reduce the whole of the decision-making to a couple of pre-printed sentences with 'Yes/No' is - in my view - completely inadequate. I don't even think much of the wording used for these pre-printed sentences - nowhere in the Code of Practice is there any requirement for "compelling evidence".

I would suggest raising these concerns with the EFA to see what they think.
Etienne
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Thank you Etienne, I shall do that!
eacb.2

Post by eacb.2 »

Etienne how exactly do you go about taking things further through the EFA?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

See our Q&As. Complaints about academy appeals are discussed in D6:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you follow the link at the end of D6 it will take you to the EFA's guidance on complaints, at the end of which they provide a form that needs to be completed.

The details of the complaint can be quite brief (indeed, there's not much space!).
For example:
  • It is not clear from the clerk's contemporaneous notes whether the panel gave proper consideration to all the evidence in their decision-making, what factors they gave weight to, or how exactly they arrived at their decision. I am also concerned about the criteria used - there is no mention whatsoever of "compelling evidence" in the Code of Practice.
Etienne
eacb.2

Post by eacb.2 »

Thanks for that. Off on hols tomorrow but think I will be proceeding with this on return
eacb.2

Post by eacb.2 »

Well who would have thought it - 11.30am on the day before school restarts and AGGS phone and offer us a place. Shocked and stunned to say the least. Have been madly trying to get a uniform sorted today, change buses etc whilst letting MHSG down. When in Taylor and Cross the assistant said they've had a few people over the last week who've been offered places - what on earth is happening? Have they put on another form at this late stage?!!!!! Would be annoyed if they have and not let us know til today.
Anyway now off to celebrate - didn't think I'd ever say that in this context......
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Great news eacb.2 - whatever the reason, it will be a nice feeling running today and sorting everything out! Hope all goes well and fingers cope with the all the last minute name tapes.. :wink:
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

OMG what a turn around!!! Congratulations to your DD and I hope they have the most fantastic time at AGGS :-)
Last edited by anotherworriedmum on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
eacb.2

Post by eacb.2 »

Thank you. Not sure it's fully sunk in yet but it will certainly make life less stressful!