successfull outcome

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

North Kend Dad

Post by North Kend Dad »

Sally-Anne wrote:Well done Kent Mum! Congratulations to you and your daughter.

As you say, the Maths score was quite low, so you obviously did a very effective job at the Appeal. If you have the time to stick around and advise others I am sure you will be a very valuable asset to the Forum.

Sally-Anne

So Sally, what you are actually saying is the performance of the parents DOES matter, rather than the evidence and evidence alone? I'm astonished that was succesful on appeal, and can you imagine how the parents of all the others kids feel, who's scores would of been far far higher, yet failed?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No I think Sally-Anne is saying that the evidence collected was compelling - showing that the Maths mark was a 'blip'.

The larger the gap the stronger the evidence has to be -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, preceisely Guest55 - thank you.

The outcome of an Appeal has nothing to do with presentation skills, but everything to do with taking the right information with you and leaving out the extraneous stuff that has no bearing on the case. That is what I mean by "doing an effective job".

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

I am assuming that the two above posts had appeals that were not successful. Apologies if I am wrong. I feel it is very harsh to stand in judgment of other children who got through on appeal without knowing all the facts. I am sure that there are many other variants to be considered for example numbers of children appealing,scores,oversubsciption issues, different schools,different panels etc.

I am really sorry that some didn't get the result they wanted, many on this forum didn't. Feeling bitter about others who did is surely not the way to go.

And yes, my child did get in on appeal despite a maths score of 107. He also scored 140 139 1n the other papers. Watching his mother being taken to hospital in an ambulance with severe breathing difficulties in the early hours of the maths test morning was somewhat upsetting for him.

Again, unless in possession of all the facts, is it wise to make a snap judgement? We all feel our children are deserving or we wouldn't be appealing. Am sure your child deserves a place, but mines lower score in one paper does not automatically make my child less deserving.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Above guest - glad to hear you were successful - some very pertinent points - look at more than the scores.

Hope everything is OK with your family now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

I don't feel that either of those posts show particular bitterness, just shock and mystification at a system that can seem less than transparent at times.

I think that is particularly true in Kent and Gloucestershire from posts I have read this year. We are perhaps luckier here in Bucks where appeals are centrally administered across the County, but even so our system throws out some blips.

I think that all parents who have been to an appeal and failed would simply like to understand more about WHY their appeal failed. The comparison against other children with low marks is an expression of frustration with the system, rather than of resentment of those who are successful.

Sally-Anne
North Kent Dad

Post by North Kent Dad »

Anonymous wrote:I am assuming that the two above posts had appeals that were not successful. Apologies if I am wrong. I feel it is very harsh to stand in judgment of other children who got through on appeal without knowing all the facts. I am sure that there are many other variants to be considered for example numbers of children appealing,scores,oversubsciption issues, different schools,different panels etc.

I am really sorry that some didn't get the result they wanted, many on this forum didn't. Feeling bitter about others who did is surely not the way to go.

And yes, my child did get in on appeal despite a maths score of 107. He also scored 140 139 1n the other papers. Watching his mother being taken to hospital in an ambulance with severe breathing difficulties in the early hours of the maths test morning was somewhat upsetting for him.

Again, unless in possession of all the facts, is it wise to make a snap judgement? We all feel our children are deserving or we wouldn't be appealing. Am sure your child deserves a place, but mines lower score in one paper does not automatically make my child less deserving.

With respect, there is absolutely no bitterness on my part, I congratulated the Mum onhr success, but at the same time explained my surprise and astonishment that it was successful - it's merely an opinion, and hoped it might spark some useful debate and information - Thanks for explaining your situation though.
North Kent Dad

Post by North Kent Dad »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Guest

I don't feel that either of those posts show particular bitterness, just shock and mystification at a system that can seem less than transparent at times.

I think that is particularly true in Kent and Gloucestershire from posts I have read this year. We are perhaps luckier here in Bucks where appeals are centrally administered across the County, but even so our system throws out some blips.

I think that all parents who have been to an appeal and failed would simply like to understand more about WHY their appeal failed. The comparison against other children with low marks is an expression of frustration with the system, rather than of resentment of those who are successful.

Sally-Anne

Sally-Ann you are absolutely right, there seems no consistency or sense to some of the decisions and we really do need to know what we did wrongly or what was the overriding factor that made the panel come to the decision they did.

With Regard to Kent, well it seems we seem to suffer from the worst inconsistency of them all, I know a nuber of parents who are totally baffled - including those who were successful but only appealed because the child asked too - they had no hopes of being successful. If we had applied for Grammer 5 miles north of the one we went for, because it is in the Bexley District, we would of been accepted and not even gone to appeal as the take the aggregate 11+ scores, but 5 Miles south and fail altogether - Very frustrating / unfair.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now