Should we think about appealing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sabanna

Should we think about appealing

Post by Sabanna »

Although we are fairly certain that DD will have a place at a Grammar school, it will not be the one we were hoping for.

I have sent details to the inbox and wondered if it was worth us thinking about appealing for the school we would like.

She has excellent academic info and there were mitigating circumstances on the day.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.
Etienne

Re: Should we think about appealing

Post by Etienne »

I think you should appeal, Sabanna, not least because you will want to know that you have done everything possible.

You do appear to have a case. Will it be strong enough? - The more competitive entry to the school is, the more difficult it might be to win an appeal, but only the panel hearing your case can come up with a definitive answer!

If you haven't already done so, you would be well-advised to read the Q&As carefully:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for us Etienne.

We will now have to consider what we do next but I think it is highly likely that we will try for appeal.
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

Hi Etienne

We've decided to appeal and have another question for you - the first of many I'm sure :)

Should we contact someone with regard to the mitigating circumstances now or leave that until the appeal. I know if my DD had been ill on the day I was meant to advise someone about it, but as it was not an illness I'm not sure what I have to do?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Bit by bit, I would start collating evidence now.

If symptoms were reported to the GP at the time, then one would hope the GP can provide confirmation.

Did anyone entirely independent notice that your daughter appeared upset around this time?

Ideally the evidence of extenuating circumstances should speak for itself, with just the briefest of explanations from you.

The main focus of your appeal really ought to be on alternative academic evidence of very high ability, and reasons for wanting a place.

Hope this helps.
Etienne
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

Thanks for the info, unfortunately nobody else noticed as she "kept" it in and only burst into tears telling me she thought daddy was going to die when we were alone at home.

My husband has been signed off work and we can copy the certificates etc..

I am going to talk to her school this week as I know she sat an "advanced" maths SATS at the end of Y5 but I have never been told the results. We do have parents evening this week so will be getting as much "help" as I can then.

Her CAT results speak for themselves I think and she has been on G&T since the infants for Numeracy and Literacy. It's just a matter of getting everything from everywhere and waiting till it's time then.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My husband has been signed off work and we can copy the certificates etc..
OK. The ideal, of course, would be some reference to the morning in question. Someone on the panel might be thinking "You may have thought the symptoms were probably related to a pre-existing condition, but didn't you check with the GP?"
Her CAT results speak for themselves
One of your strongest points, I would have thought! :)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now