How would you start compiling evidence for an appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

Re: How would you start compiling evidence for an appeal?

Post by DC17C »

There is lots of info on the appeals section accessed at the top of the page -a state school should be able to supply current NC working levels, expected SAT results, reading age and CAT scores if used.
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

Current NC working levels literacy lvl 5b, Maths lvl 8 (they get work sent in from the local Academy for him & one other pupil.)

SATS expected level - well, they're putting him in for the lvl 6 SATS, so I guess they think he has a good chance of achieving that lvl.

Reading age - was 15y2m in Y5. Hasn't been done this year.

CATS not used in our area at Primary level.

I also have his Y2 SATS results where he got lvl 3 across the board. And an EP report where a WISC test was done in Y3 that showed his IQ was 132 at age 8yo.

I have his medical certificate that I had to get for the CSSE to show that he was too ill for the first sitting of the 11+. I can get a letter from the GP to show that he was still receiving treatment for strep throat at the time of the alternate sitting. I have got a letter that shows that he came down with appendicitis just two days after the alternate sitting, and had an appendectomy just 3 days after.

Anything else?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Looks enough to me - recent school reports?
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

Recent school reports not out yet, two per year, first Y6 one due mid March. He has been having some social issues at school, and has had some time off as he has had various illnesses. Tbh he hasn't been 'right' since the strep throat /appendicitis combo.

But his literacy is constantly improving and his Maths is stellar. Would it be a good idea to include his full Y5 report? (Glowing), as well as his 'short' interim Y6 one?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

CardyMow wrote:But his literacy is constantly improving and his Maths is stellar. Would it be a good idea to include his full Y5 report? (Glowing), as well as his 'short' interim Y6 one?
Anything that glows is good! :D

All I would caution against is submitting a glowing report for Y5 and then a less sparkly interim Y6 report, if that is the case at all.

The panel may not even know that there are interim reports of Y6 at his school of course, but if they were to ask about it you can just say: "Oh, it was only an interim report and rather short, so I didn't think it was worth including".
bravado

Post by bravado »

Wanted to say I hope your appeal goes well - I suspect it must be happening very soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now