How to start an appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
skenty

Re: How to start an appeal

Post by skenty »

thanks Etienne, wasn't sure if this might be taken as a positive or negative. Was pleased headteacher offered and he is providing us with all the documentary evidence we need :; reports , SATs , SAT predictions etc..
Think we may take him up on his offer - only thing is not sure how it all works. does he come with us or do we need to alert the authority of his desire to attend and then he is invited???
March seems to be coming almost too quickly now!! :o
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

skenty wrote:Think we may take him up on his offer
I think you should! :)
not sure how it all works. does he come with us or do we need to alert the authority of his desire to attend and then he is invited???
"Admission authorities must ask appellants whether they intend to call any witnesses or be represented at the hearing."
If you're not asked, it would be best to let the appeals clerk know a week or two before the hearing that you intend to bring a witness and who it is. He doesn't need an invitation.
Etienne
skenty

Post by skenty »

Just wondering what the timescales are in Essex (Southend) in appeals for non-qualification - not sure if it is on the Q&A's??
The dreaded day approaches and know we will be refused a place but want to be prepared...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Information should be available on each admission authority's website, but the same timescales apply everywhere, and are set out here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're looking for a precise date, that may not be known until nearer the time - it will depend on how many appeals have to be scheduled, and on the availability of panel members.
Etienne
skenty

Post by skenty »

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for all your advice so far - we really appreciate it.
We are preparing bits for appeal.
DD has just sat mock SATS and achieved great results. Top girl in a high achieving school for literacy, 5a Maths, 6 for reading etc.. so we are building our academic evidence.
As you may recall we have a serious medical issue which is thought to have impacted on her performance and have an excellent letter form our GP and consultant summaries from the Brompton to support.
I'm struggling on reasons for wanting SHSG. My DD has a sibling there, we live 5 minutes away from the school, they have a proven record in excellent provision for the sciences and my DD wants to be a doctor or dentist. All her friendship group will be going to SHSG.

I'm not sure whether I should mention a concern of mine regarding her allocated school which is the local comp.
I have a background in school nursing and once was the school nurse for this comp. It had a challenging catchment and I held a reasonable child protection caseload for this school. I now work in the field of child protection and encounter many people from the local population in difficult circumstances. On the open evening for the comp which we attended for my DD to have a look at the school I bumped into a couple of families who saw me with my DD and were not totally pleased to see me. I have a concern that my job and her being noted as my child may single her out for unwanted attention. Am I being over sensitive or would a panel take this seriously??

I would appreciate opinions on this..
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi skenty

I don't think Etienne is around at the moment, so I shall deputise for her.
skenty wrote: DD has just sat mock SATS and achieved great results. Top girl in a high achieving school for literacy, 5a Maths, 6 for reading etc.. so we are building our academic evidence.
Excellent! Well done to her as well.
As you may recall we have a serious medical issue which is thought to have impacted on her performance and have an excellent letter form our GP and consultant summaries from the Brompton to support.
Good - that wil certainly help.
I'm struggling on reasons for wanting SHSG. My DD has a sibling there, we live 5 minutes away from the school, they have a proven record in excellent provision for the sciences and my DD wants to be a doctor or dentist. All her friendship group will be going to SHSG.
Those are all very good reasons in themselves.
I'm not sure whether I should mention a concern of mine regarding her allocated school which is the local comp.
I have a background in school nursing and once was the school nurse for this comp. It had a challenging catchment and I held a reasonable child protection caseload for this school. I now work in the field of child protection and encounter many people from the local population in difficult circumstances. On the open evening for the comp which we attended for my DD to have a look at the school I bumped into a couple of families who saw me with my DD and were not totally pleased to see me. I have a concern that my job and her being noted as my child may single her out for unwanted attention. Am I being over sensitive or would a panel take this seriously??
This is worth mentioning, but keep it very brief because your appeal is for SHSG, not against the comp. "I do not wish to be negative about the [allocated comp], but I would like to mention a point that gives me some cause for concern ..."

This issue has come up before, although there were no public posts about it on the forum. Both parents worked in a field that brought them into contact with some "challenging" people and they were concerned about the possibility of their child being bullied at the allocated school. The panel did take it into account and the appeal was successful. (It was not an appeal for a GS though.)

S-A
skenty

Post by skenty »

Thanks Sally-Anne - that's really helpful.
I'm also interested in what breadth of academic evidence they want to see - we have excellent SAT mock results and predictions ( 5 and 6's) , highest reading age that can be achieved, positive school reports, Level 3 SATs in year 2 etc... - do they want more than that? DD's headteacher has asked if he can attend the appeal with us and is also wrting a letter of support..
Going mad and trying to build a good case as Essex appeals are hard to win!!! My DD also only missed the passmark for the 11+ by a whisker - 302.3 scored and passmark was 303.0

Any ideas appreciated.. Skenty
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

skenty wrote:I'm also interested in what breadth of academic evidence they want to see - we have excellent SAT mock results and predictions ( 5 and 6's) , highest reading age that can be achieved, positive school reports, Level 3 SATs in year 2 etc... - do they want more than that? DD's headteacher has asked if he can attend the appeal with us and is also wrting a letter of support..
Going mad and trying to build a good case as Essex appeals are hard to win!!! My DD also only missed the passmark for the 11+ by a whisker - 302.3 scored and passmark was 303.0
If the school doesn't do CATs, then you have just about got everything there that you could be expected to provide. The Head's presence will be very valuable to you as well. Do you have evidence that the primary school is a high achieving one? That will add gravitas to whatever the Head has to say.
skenty

Post by skenty »

Yes, the primary school is top of the league in the area and has been one of the top primary schools for many years. If the panel members have local knowledge they would know of the school's reputation
Thanks Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

skenty wrote:If the panel members have local knowledge they would know of the school's reputation
Don't rely on that - panel members can sometimes come from quite a distance away.

The best time to get a mention in would be when you introduce the Head. Introduce him and then say something along the lines of: "Some of you may be aware that the school is a very highly regarded one, and I am grateful to him for sparing his valuable time to support my appeal today." It just gets the information out there without making a big fanfare!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now