How to start an appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: How to start an appeal

Post by Etienne »

had heart surgery in 2011 and lost ++ time from education but worked hard to catch up and study for 11+. Want to mention this in some form but not sure how / best way forward
Attach the medical evidence. You could also tell the panel briefly: "I would like you to know that ***** had heart surgery in 2011 and lost ++ time from education, but has recovered and worked hard to catch up and fulfil her ambition of attending the ***** school."
nervous on the test day and the visibly distressed DC's in exam hall distracted her. How can we request invigilator reports to see if this was documented??
They won't want you to have access to this if it mentions other children's names - but see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... or#p305557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
skenty

Post by skenty »

Thanks Etienne, really appreciate all advice given :D
skenty

Re: Appeal on medical grounds

Post by skenty »

Hi All,

I am also interested in this thread. My DD narrowly missed out on the 11+ and we plan to appeal. We have sound academic evidence and recent tests at school place her firmly at level 5. My DD had open heart surgery 18 months ago and missed significant school time - she did however, work extremely hard to catch up as she really wants to attend GS. She has suffered from extreme migraine since her surgery which Drs have confirmed is as a consequence of the surgery. She was having attacks all around the time of the 11+ and our GP feels strongly that this is likely to have had an impact on her performance and is keen to write a supporting letter to this effect. Having read other threads/posts on this I'm not sure whether to make this part of our appeal - we would not be citing this as our only defence - as we do have strong academic evidence...
capers123

Re: Appeal on medical grounds

Post by capers123 »

skenty wrote:... and our GP feels strongly that this is likely to have had an impact on her performance and is keen to write a supporting letter to this effect. Having read other threads/posts on this I'm not sure whether to make this part of our appeal - we would not be citing this as our only defence - as we do have strong academic evidence...
I would suggest including it. A panel will find it hard to consider unsupported evidence - ie - you just mentioning it in passing without a letter. A genuine detailed letter from a GP is pretty good evidence, and given your daughters history would be taken seriously. How much weight the panel decides to give will be entirely down to them.

An example of one that would not be helpful is 'Her parents told me that she was feeling a little bit poorly on the day before the exam, and although I haven't seen her for the last 2 years, they asked me to write to you'. This may not carry quite so much weight!
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've moved Skenty's post (and Capers' reply) from Sammi's thread to Skenty's main appeal thread.
- stick to using this one thread for everything to do with your case: it is your personal “Q&A section” from now on. Please do not start a new thread each time you post about your own case, even if you are moving away from your original question - it helps us to have all the information in one place. We can change the original topic title for you if it no longer seems appropriate.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree with Capers' reply - but thought the question had already been addressed further above?
Etienne wrote:
Skenty wrote:had heart surgery in 2011 and lost ++ time from education but worked hard to catch up and study for 11+. Want to mention this in some form but not sure how / best way forward
Attach the medical evidence. You could also tell the panel briefly: "I would like you to know that ***** had heart surgery in 2011 and lost ++ time from education, but has recovered and worked hard to catch up and fulfil her ambition of attending the ***** school."
Etienne
skenty

Post by skenty »

Hi Etienne,

Yes, we had addressed the issue but I hadn't included the facts around the migraine and how it has affected my DD. I was unsure whether to include this as have read many posts that discuss academic evidence over extenuating circumstances and worry (maybe unnecessarily) that it might be best not to go into this. Our GP has been actively involved and has been seeing my DD around the time of the 11+ - she seemed surprised we hadn't asked sooner and is clear this may have affected her performance. We can support all with full medical evidence but as I say, we also have strong academic evidence in the form of reports/SAT scores etc..
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Our advice is the same (with or without the migraine) - include relevant medical evidence, but let it speak for itself, apart perhaps from a brief mention by you.
No one has ruled out 'other factors', but it's important to have the right focus when putting forward a case. You could win an appeal with academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances - but not vice versa!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
skenty

Post by skenty »

Hello All,

My GP has written a letter explaining my DD's medical conditions and her opinion regarding how this may have affected her performance - she will pass the letter to us but wants to know to whom should she address the letter - any ideas??

skenty
skenty

Re: How to start an appeal - headteacher support

Post by skenty »

Hello All,

I saw our headteacher today regarding possible appeal evidence/support ( early I know but he is moving to another school after Easter)
He has offered full support and offered to attend the review with us if we wanted him to. Has anyone an opinion on;
a) if this is common practice
b) is it advisable?
Not sure and haven't seen any other post where this has been offered,

Skenty
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ng#p176878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ing#p26597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne