Appeal for different county?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BaileyLane

Appeal for different county?

Post by BaileyLane »

Hi, hope this is right place for this question.

Getting in a fantastic muddle about where we'll be living by September 2013. I've posted previously about currently living in Berkshire, but potentially moving to Gloucestershire during this year - and consequently have put my poor DD through two lots of 11+ - please don't judge - already feel awful :(

It now looks as though the move might be to Buckinghamshire instead. Could the timing be any worse???
DD passed 11+ for Gloucestershire, still waiting for Berkshire results. If we end up in Buckinghamshire, will she have to sit the 11+ a third time to be considered for one of the GSs? Or would we appeal on basis that she has already shown she is GS standard (obvs Berks results pending)?

Or shall i just GIVE UP until i know where we'll be living?! Head about to explode - thank you for any advice as always. BL
Etienne

Re: Appeal for different county?

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to say, BaileyLane, but Bucks haven't previously accepted an alternative 11+ result.

The problem is that 11+ results from elsewhere are rarely comparable - the format, standardisation and cohort could be quite different.
Etienne
BaileyLane

Post by BaileyLane »

Thanks for your reply, Etienne. Can see why this would be the case.

So, if we moved into Bucks in, say, 6 months, would we just have to knock her opportunity to go to a GS on the head?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not necessarily. You would have to ask for her to be allowed to take the test late, once you have proof of the move. (Moving into the area has always been a valid reason, I think.)

If successful, there will probably be one or two grammar schools still with vacancies. Otherwise you would have to appeal for a place.
Etienne
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

We had to move to Marlow by March 2012 in order to be considered for second round allocations to start in September 2012.

I also had to show my mother's medical records, proof from solicitors and estate agents that I was trying to move in order for Bucks CC to allow my son to be a late sitter in February. The council quite rightly made 100% sure that we were really moving.

Me telling them I was moving in June/July would have meant that he would not have been allocated a school and run the risk of getting no GS in Bucks. So unless you are applying for a school that is generally all offered, you may find that even if you get a late sitting and get the qualification score, you may still end up without a GS!

The hoops were many, varied, and the whole thing cost a fortune when I ended up waiting to sell a house in Bedfordshire, whilst renting in Marlow.
BaileyLane

Post by BaileyLane »

Thank you both for your replies, really appreciate your time x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now