West Kent failure - Highs and Lows

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaLou

West Kent failure - Highs and Lows

Post by JaLou »

My devastated DD has not passed, getting 130 (VR) 131 (NVR) and only 102 in Maths. She was wanted to go to our GS for years and is inconsolable. On the morning of the maths test she was very upset and we were late for school (just) as I was trying to calm her down. She thought she had messed up the NVR as the format was not one she had seen before and her confidence was badly shaken. She barely slept that night. She has never done so poorly in a maths test before.

She is a studious girl, who works very hard & her work is immaculate. In year 4 she lost confidence in her maths and her marks went down. She got it back though, picked up her marks and rose 2 whole levels between years 3 and 5 so she was level 4b for maths in year 5, and a level 5 for English etc.

She wants to appeal. The HT is right behind her (and will attend the appeal.) Etienne are we just going to cause her more heartache? She is a grammar girl through and through and I don't know what to do
thanks so much
Etienne

Re: West Kent failure - Highs and Lows

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, JaLou - and I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through.

I wish there was an easy answer - but there isn't!
Appeals can be very stressful, and realistically most of them aren't going to succeed - not least because all sorts of factors might affect the outcome, some of which could be completely outside your control.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will probably want to go ahead with an appeal if only to reassure yourself that you have done everything possible. I would suggest, though, that the less your daughter knows about what is going on, the better! Best to be very vague - you could tell her that you'll submit an appeal, but that it might take until July before you hear anything definite.

You will need as much academic evidence as possible, and don't overlook reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The panel will obviously look long and hard at the evidence for maths. Jumping two whole levels between years 3 and 5 is very encouraging. Late evidence can usually be submitted up until a fortnight or so before an appeal, so she has time between now and the summer term to improve even further.

I think it's a plus point that the headteacher is willing to attend the appeal with you.
Etienne
JaLou

Re: West Kent failure - Highs and Lows

Post by JaLou »

thank you for your kind reply. We will take on board what you say and keep her out of the process. We know it's a long shot but not one her HT ses as impossible but DD wants it so much.

I am seeing her teacher at the end of school tomorrow to see where he assesses her right now and so he knows our intentions. The was a vast improvement from June onwards on the work she did at home as if it had all clicked so ironically Maths was therefore the one I didn't worry so much about.
It seems from other parents in the area that her marks aren't uncommon, this years maths seems to have been a real issue.
I will keep reading the forum and thanks again for all the advice you and the team provide
best wishes
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now