Should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pickle

Re: Should I appeal?

Post by pickle »

Hello again!

Bit of an update and a couple of questions if that's ok?

We took part in a 'local review' in October. Ds wasn't successful. The school wrote a glowing character reference for him but his working at levels were probably not high enough - Reading 4A, Maths 4B and Writing 4C. We were fine with this, put it to bed and moved on.

However, he's progressing really well and his current working at levels are Reading 5C, Maths 5C and Writing 4A. From what I gather, he'll probably get high level 5's in his next SATS as he's been told last week he was 1 mark off a 5A for maths and that he's now a 5A for Reading in the practise SATS. I'm struggling to keep up with all of this but can't ignore that he's making great progress and could be well suited to a GS.

What are my options?? Just the 12+?
I think taking part in a local review means that we've compromised a 'proper' appeal as we'd have to prove that the first wasn't conducted fairly. Wondered why they almost invite you to do the local review!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just want to do my best for him. GS is not the be all and end all for us but we live very close and its a mixed school, whereas he'll be going to an all boys if not GS.

Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you could appeal, and see what happens! :)

The admission authority ought to explain why they believe their review to have been 'fair, consistent & objective' - and it is then open to you and the panel to pose questions.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also (d)4 in the following link (but it is specific to Bucks reviews, so I can't say whether any of the points raised there would apply in your case).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=31030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Dulcemilla

Post by Dulcemilla »

Pickle
I think it's certainly worth a shot, however bear in mind that others will be appealing with children working towards level 6 in their sats.
I removed my DS from CRGS waiting list only because we found an indie that we fell in love with and just wanted to know what we were doing. Had we really wanted GRGS, I still would not have appealed as we had no circumstances or grounds to appeal on. My DS is at level 5a for one subject and level 6 for the others, including extension group work. On an academic level I thought it may be worth a fight initially, however I am fully aware of other children who are appealing and working at level 6. What I am trying to say is ensure your other evidence or mitigating circumstances is strong as sat levels will be used by others which exceed the levels of your DS. It's a hard process and I wish you well.

Good luck to you and I hope you get the best outcome for your DS x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Dulcemilla - some areas, like Bucks, select the top 30% so level 5s are fine.

Very few pupils got level 6 last year so I suspect panels will want to see paper evidence of work at that level to take the schools word for it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If there are too many children who are deemed to be academically suitable, then the panel will consider reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interestingly, the current Appeals Code makes no mention of extenuating circumstances (which is not to say that an appeal panel wouldn't take account of them).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thanks Etienne again for your help and sorry it's taken so long for me to respond. I decided to request the notes from the local review undertaken in October and have been waiting for them to help me make my decision.

Basically, the review notes say he wasn't successful because he didn't pass any of the three papers and the cumulative score was significantly below the pass mark. What I found interesting was it states that, after close analysis of the performance profile indicates that he struggled to answer the initial, easy questions in some or all elements of the test. Could this not have been because he was very distracted and struggled to get into the paper???? Seems odd he got the harder questions right. It also says that the invigilator's reports do not correlate with the assertions made in my local review letter and that the invigilators are not allowed to deviate from the scripts given. How can this be??? I have learned since the exam that other parents/children had the same complaints as us and it feels they haven't taken this into consideration at all. Sorry I'm referring back to the letter I posted to the appeals box here - do you know which one?

I think the academic evidence at the time of the local review wasn't good enough either. I'm certain he was level 5 standard (his report end of year 5 said so for literacy) at that point but his teacher did not put this in the letter or maybe his SATS weren't up to scratch as he'd just started back at school after the summer and the entrance exam process.

He's now been told he's moved up 5 sub levels since September in Maths and is one mark off a level 6. His literacy teacher hasn't given him any info but I would expect a similar result.

He has had problems with a child at his primary school (the child has been told to keep away from child by the head) and this child will be going to the same secondary school. Aside from academic ability and catchment, would this be an extra reason to appeal?

I'm really struggling getting my head around all this and feel I won't get much support from his school as his head teacher doesn't believe in the GS system :? I think at most, his teacher would write a letter with his current SATS and a glowing character reference.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Could this not have been because he was very distracted and struggled to get into the paper???? Seems odd he got the harder questions right.
A point worth bringing to the attention of the appeal panel.
It also says that the invigilator's reports do not correlate with the assertions made in my local review letter and that the invigilators are not allowed to deviate from the scripts given. How can this be??? I have learned since the exam that other parents/children had the same complaints as us and it feels they haven't taken this into consideration at all.
If numerous parents have made the same complaint, it calls into question the accuracy of the invigilator's reports.

Suggest you put this point to the appeal panel.
I think the academic evidence at the time of the local review wasn't good enough either.
If so, I would have thought that ought to be the main reason why the review didn't succeed, even though it's not what you've been told.
He has had problems with a child at his primary school (the child has been told to keep away from child by the head) and this child will be going to the same secondary school. Aside from academic ability and catchment, would this be an extra reason to appeal?
Yes - assuming they are dealing with all aspects of the case at the same hearing (they probably are). I don't know if you have any evidence relating to the bullying - ideally you should provide it.
Someone could, of course, point out that the bullying might be an argument for not going to the allocated school - but does it necessarily follow that he has to go to the school you're appealing for? (Perhaps the school you want has an excellent reputation for pastoral care, and for how it deals with bullying?)

The three aspects are:
1. whether the review was fair, consistent & objective - and I've previously given you some links to help prepare. (This is important because, if the panel decide the review process was fair, consistent & objective, you cannot win the appeal.)
2. evidence of grammar school ability - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. reasons for wanting a place at the school - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you so much Etienne. It's all becoming a little clearer now :)

I just wanted to ask, will the independent panel read my appeal form and then decide if the local review has been conducted fairly? If this is the case, do I need to get everything I would like them to consider on my appeal form or I might never get the chance to put it to them? I only ask because I've read on here it's best to keep it really brief and elaborate at the actual appeal but I'm worried if I don't mention it on the appeal form I may not get a chance to elaborate if they decide I can't appeal!

Please tell me I'm not the only one with so many questions :roll:

Many thanks.

Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I just wanted to ask, will the independent panel read my appeal form and then decide if the local review has been conducted fairly?
No - you have to be given the opportunity to be present when 'fair, consistent & objective' is discussed.

There's more than one way of doing what follows, so I can't be sure - but they'll probably hear the whole of your case, and take their decisions afterwards.
Please tell me I'm not the only one with so many questions :roll:
Indeed you're not. There are also many 'lurkers' who depend on active posters here to ask the questions they would like answered! :)
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you.

I know I said 'one more question' but I meant two :wink:

If there is a child who was closer to the pass mark than my child but my child's academic evidence was stronger, would the child nearer the pass mark have more chance at being successful at appeal than mine?

I ask because some parents have been sent appeal forms without requesting them so it makes me wonder if they are being given a second chance. The ones I know of went through the local review too.

I'm just trying to weigh it all up. My dc was quite a way off the pass mark.

Thanks.

Pickle.