Should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Should I appeal?

Post by Etienne »

If I write very little will they think I don't care?
No - I don't believe anyone has ever been given credit for writing at length!
The panel will be much more interested in the evidence.
Also, do I cover FCO in my appeal application? Do I say I will be challenging it and give the reasons why???
Good question!

I've added this to the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Wonderful, thanks. I won't mention anything regarding FCO.

I can't see anywhere in the school admissions info on the website, the summary prospectus or the LA guide to transferring to secondary school where it states that our chances of a full, independent appeal could be severely limited if a local review was undertaken. Also, the school in question has recently sent out appeal forms to parents (not sure if it's all or just a few) who took part in the local review but were unsuccessful (without them requesting the form). Have you any thoughts on this Etienne? Seems odd if your chances are limited to, again, encourage parents to appeal???

I also wondered if you'd ever heard of the 'shortest safe walking route' being used as a reason for needing a place at a school and your thoughts on this?

The moment I think I'm done with questions, more appear! :roll:

Many thanks again for your time.

Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I can't see anywhere in the school admissions info on the website, the summary prospectus or the LA guide to transferring to secondary school where it states that our chances of a full, independent appeal could be severely limited if a local review was undertaken.
I don't think they'd ever want to use the words 'severely limited' - but I do think they should have explained the review system somewhere, and pointed out paragraph 3.13(b) of the Code.

See if you can find the full admission policy for the school. It ought to be on their website, and I would have thought it ought to include a mention of the review as part of the admission arrangements.
Also, the school in question has recently sent out appeal forms to parents (not sure if it's all or just a few) who took part in the local review but were unsuccessful (without them requesting the form). Have you any thoughts on this Etienne? Seems odd if your chances are limited to, again, encourage parents to appeal???
I don't think it has anything to do with the chances of success. The admission authority has a duty to notify parents fully of their right of appeal. It could notify them just by means of a letter, inviting them to request an appeal form if they want one - or it might take the view that it's administratively easier just to send everyone the letter and form at the same time!
I also wondered if you'd ever heard of the 'shortest safe walking route' being used as a reason for needing a place at a school and your thoughts on this?
'Short distance', yes - because of the convenience factor.
'Safe', no - unless there is evidence that this is a vulnerable child, and there would be risks involved otherwise.
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Hi Etienne,

I have read all of the info I can find about the school and although 'local review' and 'appeals' are covered in the admissions process, there is no mention at all of possibility of losing right to appeal if local review undertaken. Unless I'm missing something (quite possible, my brain is fried!).

Our HT has made it quite clear that he doesn't agree with the GS system and has fed this down to the teachers. When we took part in the local review last year, we were told that it was school policy not to send school work home to be sent along with the review. I think they were bombarded as there were quite a few children who were expected to pass that didn't so it must've been difficult. If his teacher comes up with a fairly good, supportive letter, how much weight will this carry? I doubt our HT has ever sent a supporting letter but I could be wrong. Will the school we're appealing for only want to see a letter from the very top???

It's so frustrating when my son has been pretty much a model pupil all the way through school and is clearly at the level required for GS but I can't get any support :(

I'm starting to really worry that we have too many obstacles to overcome and all this stress will, more than likely, be for nothing. Sorry, I think the pressure is now getting to me....!

Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have read all of the info I can find about the school and although 'local review' and 'appeals' are covered in the admissions process, there is no mention at all of possibility of losing right to appeal if local review undertaken. Unless I'm missing something (quite possible, my brain is fried!).
I would certainly expect the review to be in their admissions policy. I wouldn't go so far as to say they have to mention para. 3.13(b) of the Code, but you could ask at the hearing whether this was ever brought to the attention of parents, and, if not, is it fair and reasonable to spring this on appellants?
I doubt our HT has ever sent a supporting letter but I could be wrong. Will the school we're appealing for only want to see a letter from the very top???
I see no reason why a letter from the teacher wouldn't suffice - especially if you explain to the panel that the situation is a bit 'delicate'.
See B20a:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Dear Etienne,

I did notice that I return my 'reasons for appealing and any further relevant information for consideration' to the admissions dept. at the school. Is this normal? I thought I was addressing an independent panel?

Thanks,

Pickle.
pickle

Post by pickle »

Another question - our appeal letter will include a small paragraph/list for each of the reasons for appealing....academic evidence, extenuating circs and reasons for wanting a place....when I list the reasons do I explain why they are specific to our child? E.g. if the school has a strong anti-bullying policy, could I list this as a reason and explain that our son is unassuming and sensitive in nature, which can sometimes lead to him being 'picked on?' I'm uncertain as to how much detail to go into but it seems odd to just give a list.

One more question - the school we are appealing for are 'very big' (can't think of the word!) on manners, discipline and respect as are we at home and the primary school he currently attends. I'm really struggling to get this into words and wondering if it is actually a valid reason at all?

Sorry for all of the questions, I need to have my letter finished tomorrow :shock:

Thanks again.

Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I did notice that I return my 'reasons for appealing and any further relevant information for consideration' to the admissions dept. at the school. Is this normal? I thought I was addressing an independent panel?
I'm always uneasy about this sort of thing.

It would have been better if they'd asked for appeal papers to be sent to the appeals clerk c/o the school, although even this was once the subject of an ombudsman complaint:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another question - our appeal letter will include a small paragraph/list for each of the reasons for appealing....academic evidence, extenuating circs and reasons for wanting a place....when I list the reasons do I explain why they are specific to our child? E.g. if the school has a strong anti-bullying policy, could I list this as a reason and explain that our son is unassuming and sensitive in nature, which can sometimes lead to him being 'picked on?' I'm uncertain as to how much detail to go into but it seems odd to just give a list.
Yes - but ideally you'd be attaching some evidence.

Is there any mention in school reports of his being sensitive?
One more question - the school we are appealing for are 'very big' (can't think of the word!) on manners, discipline and respect as are we at home and the primary school he currently attends. I'm really struggling to get this into words and wondering if it is actually a valid reason at all?
It's not invalid, but it's rather difficult to prove!

You could try writing: "The ethos of the school matches perfectly the importance we attach at home to manners, discipline and respect. The same ethos is to be found at our son's primary school, and we are keen to ensure that those values are maintained throughout his secondary education."
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Etienne wrote:I'm always uneasy about this sort of thing.
Hmmm......I'm uneasy too. It feels like a repeat of the local review process.
Etienne wrote:Is there any mention in school reports of his being sensitive?
The only report I have at the moment (I'm so embarrassed at harrassing his teacher by sending notes in all of the time) is his year 5 one. The sorts of words used to describe ds are 'quiet, unassuming', 'very kind natured', 'should aim to be more assertive', 'continue to believe in his capabilities'.......could this be enough on the 'sensitive' issue???

I think I'll brave it and phone the school office for all of his reports. Surely, it's just a case of photocopying them so no need to bother the teacher.
Etienne wrote:You could try writing: "The ethos of the school matches perfectly the importance we attach at home to manners, discipline and respect. The same ethos is to be found at our son's primary school, and we are keen to ensure that those values are maintained throughout his secondary education."
This is exactly what I was trying to say - thank you!

I also have a statement from his teacher that I would like you to have a look at if at all possible. Would I be able to scan it in and post it to the appeals box?

Thanks so much for all of your help :D

Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The sorts of words used to describe ds are 'quiet, unassuming', 'very kind natured', 'should aim to be more assertive', 'continue to believe in his capabilities'.......could this be enough on the 'sensitive' issue???
That will help. :)
I also have a statement from his teacher that I would like you to have a look at if at all possible. Would I be able to scan it in and post it to the appeals box?
Yes, you can.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now