Torbay 11+ appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lucy

torbay 11plus appeals

Post by lucy »

Thanks etinnne
I am sure I would have given up with out your sound advice still have to go on to learn more but it is a learning curve for sure :( I have to go for plan b for our son at the moment
and see how that turns out? sure is a confusing system all round .
very best lucy not completley mad yet! :roll:
stressed out mum
Katie

Appeal failure

Post by Katie »

Thank you to everyone who has replied. Being the first person in almost a decade to challenge or question the system in Torbay - I have been feeling quite isolated. It's brilliant to have all your replies.

I was considerate of the length of my original post on this topic and did not add a couple of crucial points with regard to the maladministration complaint.

My situation is an unusual one in that my profession involves contact with a very wide range of people involved in education and the local authority where I live. Hence - way in advance of the appeal - and having done my research, I had huge concerns that my son's appeal might be jeopardized by finding that I knew or had associations with one of the panel.

To this end - terrified that a positive appeal outcome might be over ruled for reasons of bias, I rang the clerk of the panel to express my concerns.

I explained in full detail my employment situation - so that there was no possibility of a later issue arising.

He assured me that there would be no one on the panel familiar to me.
Of course at this moment in time I rather naively held the belief that a positive outcome was possible!

Imagine my horror when I walked into the dimly lit oak panelled room in the austere hotel to attend the hearing.
The couple who's appeal hearing had preceded ours came out of the room crying and supporting each other physically.

Quite used to attending meetings and public speaking, I entered the room undaunted and was alarmed to find myself beginning to tremble as I sat down.

The tables were clothed to the floor and set out in a quadrant. The panel sat opposite us - about twenty feet or so away - a little like a court of law.
I was highly distracted by the familiar appearance of one of the panel - who truned out to be the teacher training manager at the college where I am a tutor.

Had my son's appeal been upheld, I would have been wide open to speculation from other appellants. I was aghast and very upset not to be able to identify the lady - concious of the fact that the clerk had emphatically confirmed that I would definitely not know any of the panel - I battled on to give my presentation - all the time wondering where the familiarity was arising from.

During further investigations aftyer the hearing, I was deeply troubled to learn that the admissions governor at the school in question was also Chair of governors at a primary school situated less than a mile from the Grammar. At first this seems insgnificant, however the two schools are the only schools in an affluent "pocket" of Torbay. The primary school appearing in the top three for children gaining places at the grammar school out of a possible thirty or so in the locality.

Going back to the panel member and feelings of inappropriate placement to carry out the duties, this person is also ex-local education authority employee , and for many of the reasons outlined in the codes of practice, should not have been appointed anyway.

Oh dear - what a mess.

Watch this space for other failings yet to be divulged!

Upward and onward!
Katie