Primary school appeal - difficult

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dobbyagain

to appeal again or not?

Post by dobbyagain »

I'm back!

Not surprisingly after all our angst this year, moving my son to a new school in September to facilitate our daughters move and then her not being able to move - he didn't get 121 in 11+

Headteacher of his new school who attended the appeal against him joining her over subscribed school (not) and then not even letting hinm visit the school before entry - won'y support an appeal. Level 5 predictions 90% in practice papers. She's only known him a few weeks.

have to hope previous head will support (but independent and don't like 11+)

Boy do I feel we're having a bad year.

He got 116 and was a star.

I can learn a lot from the mature way he accepted it - just said he was sad he wouldn't be with his older siblings at grammar. Annoying thing I KNOW he'd cope.

heigh ho

Dobby
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

Dobby

My heart goes out to you and all your 'family'. I do get so upset when I come across stories of teachers who I perceive to be there for the children not doing what seems best and fair for the children.

Best wishes
Wiki
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello again, Dobby. What a glutton for punishment you are. :D

With a score of 116 (you don't say what the other score was), and without the headteacher's support (for which you can offer an explanation :D), it's an uphill struggle, and you'll need some really good alternative evidence.

If you can afford it, you may find an educational psychologist's assessment of your son's ability a worthwhile investment. No guarantees, of course.

Regards
Etienne
dobbyagain

Thanks

Post by dobbyagain »

Thanks for advice Etienne and support Wiki.
It is comforting to see old names still around as well as new people.
I did think of EP report but surely this will take longer than time avaiable - or do I just take results to the hearing?

Dobby
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dobby

You can submit an EP report a week or two before the hearing takes place, so there is time.

The practice scores are not normally regarded as evidence. I cannot recall a single occasion when a school mentioned them, and there is no need for you to.

You are all right for extenuating circumstances, so evidence of high ability is the key.

Regards
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Hi Dobbyagain, Just a word of encouragement - i was successful 2 years ago with no extenuating circumstances and scores of 109 and 116. Did have good academic evidence and school reports. Son in year 8 now and loving it

Good Luck

Marie
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Etienne wrote:Hello again, Dobby. What a glutton for punishment you are. :D
Hi Dobby

That was my first thought too! :)

Wise advice from Etienne - see what you can put together on academic evidence by pushing the school to at least provide information, even if they won't support you. Appeals have been known to succeed without Head teacher support, although it will be uphill.

Good luck - please let us know how you are gettng on.

Sally-Anne
Katie

Post by Katie »

Very good luck to you. I'll be thinking of you. Thinking positive thoughts.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the very best for your appeal - your family deserve it!