joan_joan appeal thread

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: joan_joan appeal thread

Post by Etienne »

WISC tests (commonly used by educational psychologists) are available in some other languages.
Finding an EP to administer one would be another matter.
Translations

WISC has been translated or adapted to many languages, and norms have been established for a number of countries, including Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Croatian, French (France and Canada), German (Germany, Austria and Switzerland), English (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia), Welsh, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese (Hong Kong), Korean (South Korea), Greek, Romanian, Slovenian and Italian. Separate norms are established with each translation. (Norway uses the Swedish norms). India uses the Malin's Intelligence Scale for Children (MISIC), an adaptation of WISC.[4] The fourth edition of WISC was adapted and standardized for India in 2012.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_ ... anslations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Applying the 'norm' for one country to a completely different country might be a problem, though ........

The onus is on the parent to prove their case, and, as Sally-Anne has pointed out, all an appeal panel could have done is to weigh up all the alternative academic evidence of very high ability, as well as taking into account extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
joan_joan

Post by joan_joan »

We are from Thailand actually. After taking your view, surely I will give up.
Amber

Post by Amber »

joan_joan wrote:We are from Thailand actually. After taking your view, surely I will give up.
Don't give up! You have nothing to lose. Do as Sally Anne suggests and go to appeal. Don't tell your son, then he won't be worried about the outcome. Thai is so dissimilar to English I am amazed he could even start the test! Apply for another school in the meantime and that way all your bases are covered. Work on getting as much evidence as you can that he is very able. You will get lots of support on here- these people are experts, even if what they are saying is hard to take at the moment.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

joan_joan wrote:We are from Thailand actually. After taking your view, surely I will give up.
Amber wrote:Don't give up! You have nothing to lose. Do as Sally Anne suggests and go to appeal. Don't tell your son, then he won't be worried about the outcome. Thai is so dissimilar to English I am amazed he could even start the test! Apply for another school in the meantime and that way all your bases are covered. Work on getting as much evidence as you can that he is very able. You will get lots of support on here- these people are experts, even if what they are saying is hard to take at the moment.
I agree with Amber - you must not give up! The only thing that you should rule out is submitting your case for a Review in January. Beyond that there is everything to play for, and we are here for you whenever you need us. :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have taught children of primary age who come to school with very little English. It is amazing how quickly they learn. We had a girl arrive in mid yr 4 speaking hardly any English and she passed the Kent test. Don't worry, Even if your appeal is unsuccessful this year, then you can try 12+ when he has had another full year of education in England.
joan_joan

Post by joan_joan »

Sally-Anne wrote:The 110/109 case appeared on the forum, and the member's name was tkc3. You can search for her posts, and there is a summary of the case on this thread http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 05#p293105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Sally-Anne for pointing out the case. I had a look through,the boy seems have been a native English speaker but his parents had prepared his case very well, and had a very strong support from the school.

My son was very upset after the tests ( actually he didn't want to do the tests as he never was so unsure for a test ). I felt it was my fault to force him to attend the test. But gladly to let you know he is happy again now, his teacher and myself has assured him that he score is not low at all to a newbie like him.

His current math level should be at a level of year 7 students here (once he understood all the terms in English), it is a pity that Buckinghamshire doesn't have a maths test for all those who are applying appeal/select review.

Anyway, Thank you Amber for your support, and once again, thanks to all those who have joined the discussions here.