Post by Siena_1 »

Hi all I am working on getting my docs together for the review

My Dd scored 115 & 108
2-1 recommendation by School Head
SATs
Maths 4C expected level 4A (not great)
Reading 5C expected level 5A
Writing 4A expected level 5B

I have full support from school luckily and have fantastic summary sheet completed by head this afternoon.

My extenuating reasons is my asthma which had turned worse beginning of oct, my dr has given me copies of the documents logged on the system by the out of hours emergency doctor and it states the urgency of the ambulance being called. Is this document enough or do I need a further letter from my doctor? It's dated 6.10.12 with details of being ill the whole week leading up to my dd 11+.

Also I haven't discussed this reason with my head as I saw her on Monday and went to see the doctor to see if the incident had been logged, would it help if I ask her to add this reason on her review summary sheet as there is section for the head asking if they know of any reasons. ( the head had already said happy to make any changes )

Please advise, as much as I feel I have done all I could I'm so worried I may just not do enough, and that worries me :(

Any advice be much appreciated
hermanmunster

Re: Bucks Review advice on results and evidence

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Siena

Can't really comment on the scores but TBH I wouldn't include too much about the extenuating circumstances as these seem to be relate to your illness not that of your child. If you felt that your illness had an adverse impact on the scores then that evidence would need to come from the teachers who noted a sudden drop in DC's performance related to the period of your illness
Siena_1

Post by Siena_1 »

Hi thx for reply

Yes your right it's my reason not child's but yes it could have upset her in some way but I have no reason or other evidence why she wasn't successful. It's the head who advised us to go through with review as she was expected to pass.

The heads letter is so supportive that both my husband and I were so proud of our dd to read such great comments about her.

What are your thoughts? Do I not give a reason?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I'm afraid that whatever the nature of the extenuating circumstances, the SATs level in maths will be the problem. In my experience (my daughter had the same SATs projections and scored closer to 121 on both papers), the panel will not feel your daughter is suited to GS. Of course the process has changed slightly in the two years since but I believe the principles will be the same. Sorry to be pessimistic but with those 11+ scores and the 4A in maths, the odds are stacked against you.
Siena_1

Post by Siena_1 »

Hi anotherdad

Thanks for your reply, I know of 4 children who won appeals to 2 different bucks grammar schools with the score of 115 from our school alone last year, this is one of the reasons I am going through with this. Yes I agree Maths is low and the head said this too, she has added this in her comments of dd making good process and excelling since Sats.

I am taking a chance and being optimistic, my dd will do magnificently whichever school she ends up :)
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I'm sure she will. Would the head reassess the maths projection? My daughter had the same projection of 4A but by the end of Y6 actually got 5B which was a bit galling because I believe the projection played a big part in our unsuccessful appeal. However, the good eventual grade made the 12+ an option, which turned out to be the best outcome all round. My daughter had the confidence boost of a year in the top sets at US and moved to a GS this year for year 8.

12+ is a bit of a postcode lottery but if your daughter progresses more than the projection, it might prove to be a route to GS if you still feel she would be best suited at one.
Siena_1

Post by Siena_1 »

Well the head said they are sitting maths test early next week and maybe we should send the results of this as evidence that she clearly has improved, so hopefully dd does well and it works for her.

That's great your daughter must have been over the moon, I did suggest to my dd about the 12+ this afternoon and she just looked at me and said "no mum pls". She is still quiet upset about not making it and her best buddy did. I've had to keep this review pretty quiet from her as don't want her upset 2nd time round.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

The other option is to not go for the review but to appeal later next year. Yes, there is a risk of there being no spaces but you may have the improvement in maths projection that you need by then.

My daughter didn't see the 12+ as onerous and certainly not the drag she found the 11+. She wasn't heavily tutored for the 11+, she had 4 short sessions and then 10 minute tests every day from June to October. For the 12+ she did even less but the extra 14 months "brain maturity" made a big difference. Definitely an option if you live close to a GS that historically has vacancies in its Y7 next year.
Siena_1

Post by Siena_1 »

Do we know for sure when the appeal is next year? I could wait and appeal but just dont want to miss out on a place. Saying that 2 of the 4 Kids last year weren't offered a place till July/Aug as one of the GS had places left.

I need a rethink and then a strong drink :)

Thanks very much for your views, appreciate it
Siena_1

Post by Siena_1 »

Hi again

We went through with the bucks review after requesting an email from bucks cc confirming we could appeal even after an unsuccessful review.

We had an unsuccessful review which wasn't too surprising but we gave it a shot.

Now as it stands we were not offered any of the 3 NON grammar schools we had on CAF form so are planning to appeal for a GRAMMAR place.

It clearly states on the booklet which came from Bucks CC with appeal form we can appeal, and confirms a lot of info both Etienne and SA have said but what is really concerning me is that the school head has said that I can't appeal. As I already have. I showed her the email from Bucks CC and the booklet and she's really surprised. She is supporting me but I don't understanding why the communication has been so poor. If it wasn't for this forum so many parents would be lost. Why hasn't BCC communicated with schools? It's mad.

Back to my point originally, I have booked an educational psychologist for a report just so it may work for me as a last resort, especially seeing we didn't get offered any of the schools we requested. Do I send this report with my appeal form and other docs? Or would I need to send it 10 days prior to appeal hearing?

Apologies for the long post, I understand my case isn't great but if we don't try I won't know, any advice would be great.

Kind regards, Siena